Noise gate w/ attack modification feature for newbie

Started by niftyprose, January 31, 2016, 07:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

niftyprose

Hi guys, first post here so I hope I haven't crassly ignored any ongoing discussions. Feel free to point me at the appropriate thread if I have.

I need a slightly unusual noise gate pedal, with the following two features:
* Effects loop
* Attack control

No prizes for guessing that my inspiration came from the Pladask Gjengangar, a really beautiful and well-though-out piece of work. However, if want to keep my much-loved old analog delay box, I will have to find a way of adding attack control to a separate gate circuit. Although that feature is implemented in the seminal Gaines schematic, I can't find a 9v pedal which offers it. I'd also like the gate to behave like the EHX Silencer -- when the pedal is OFF, the pedals in the loop are switched into series with the input at the gate -- but consensus seems to be that the Silencer's construction makes it difficult to mod.

I'm primarily a player, have used basic electronics knowledge to build an elaborate 12V solar power system for a workspace but no hands-on with music tech. I think I've figured a way to get where I want using another class of pedal that I can buy off the shelf, but a custom-built or modded 9V gate would be a more elegant solution f'sure.

TIA, WM.

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

niftyprose

Thanks, Kipper, that's very much along the lines I was thinking of. I had some initial cognitive dissonance because I thought I was looking at a mod for the EHX Silencer, but this is a standalone build -- makes sense. Did anyone actually build this? WM.