can i use zener diodes in a muff fuzz?

Started by wyn, February 04, 2016, 05:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyn

i was making a muff fuzz and used 2 zener diodes by mistake( 5239b) it sounds good but ime a bit unsure if it s a problem :icon_eek:

Wyn
No Fuzz= No Fun!

Mark Hammer

1) They shouldn't cause any "problems".

2) The Muff Fuzz is essentially a silicon Fuzz Face with fixed gain.  It produces a fuzzy sound even without clipping diodes.

3) Chances are pretty good that any distortion you currently hear will still be present even ifyou remove those diodes.  Their forward voltage is high enough that you shouldn't expect them to introduce much clipping.

Fast Pistoleros

learning a whole bunch about diodes lately lol

I know the Zeners are designed to operate in the reverse bias mode and they clip anything above approx .7 volts Vf  on the positive side of the wave form

I am still new to the whole diode thing, trying to wrap my whole head around rectifiers and power supplies lol

doing experiments myself, I noticed a llot of circuits work and sound good with the diodes in or out , as if they dont even do anything like Mark said above.  I was hoping to get a different tone out of these GE diodes I had gotten for around a buck a piece. turns out , they didnt make any difference that I could hear. 

Keppy

I'm not familiar with this specific circuit, but if the diodes are connected antiparallel, then each one will conduct forward before the opposite one conducts in reverse. In other words, they behave as regular silicon diodes.
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

wyn

https://plus.google.com/u/0/102729661034733473192/posts/5EdUYCV16Q9?pid=6247677750430573058&oid=102729661034733473192

heres the schematic.

i can hear a difference when i use these diodes, compared to the standard 1N914s, which sound good as well.

No Fuzz= No Fun!

MaxPower

Quote from: Fast Pistoleros on February 04, 2016, 09:28:49 PM
doing experiments myself, I noticed a llot of circuits work and sound good with the diodes in or out , as if they dont even do anything like Mark said above.  I was hoping to get a different tone out of these GE diodes I had gotten for around a buck a piece. turns out , they didnt make any difference that I could hear.

Try circuits like the DOD250 for example. The differences between silicon and germanium diodes should be very apparent.

Maybe this will be of some use (hard diode clipping in particular):
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/how-to-build-it/technical-help/articles/design-distortion/
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

bluebunny

I think the accepted wisdom is that if it sounds good, then it is good.  And therefore not a problem.  :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

wyn

Quote from: bluebunny on February 05, 2016, 02:54:56 AM
I think the accepted wisdom is that if it sounds good, then it is good.  And therefore not a problem.  :)

i was more worried about the pedal blowing up in my face when i put it to power (not a battery)

:o
No Fuzz= No Fun!

wyn

No Fuzz= No Fun!

Fast Pistoleros

Quote from: MaxPower on February 05, 2016, 01:45:46 AM
Quote from: Fast Pistoleros on February 04, 2016, 09:28:49 PM

Try circuits like the DOD250 for example. The differences between silicon and germanium diodes should be very apparent.

Maybe this will be of some use (hard diode clipping in particular):
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/how-to-build-it/technical-help/articles/design-distortion/

are their anymore pedals that rely on diodes for tone you know of ? I am wanting to experiment now lol

going to BB the 250 up ..I use a 280 style comp and love it ..more than the ross style

GibsonGM

Many many many many distortions use diodes for clipping!  :)   Distortion plus, Marshall Guv'nor are great examples...tube screamer uses them in the feedback loop for a bit 'softer' OD, little different design there.     

Most circuits use a very similar topology, so you are on the right track!   Try some LEDs for clipping, too :)    And 'stacking' diodes...like putting 2 one way, 3 the other, etc etc.   Search function here will find you 100,000 posts on this, ha ha.   

AMZ (link at top of forum main page) has nice articles all about this - you'll be busy for the next 6 months...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

bluebunny

Quote from: wyn on February 05, 2016, 10:49:18 AM
i was more worried about the pedal blowing up in my face when i put it to power (not a battery)

Only if you sub the diode for a reversed tantalum cap...   :icon_twisted:

(Don't try it!)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Fast Pistoleros

I may not have enough time, these classes are killing me, we are in rectifiers and power supply; its not so bad overall but I am having a hard time with the Oscope/wave forms to trouble shoot and just in general. Mixing Ac and DC at first is confusing lol  . I think I should try to build a few small power supplies or rectifiers first lol  and maybe one diode test circuit !

I tried setting up a didoe characteristic curve circuit to look at waves and could not get it to work..yet. still messing with it