Sunemall sloped enclosures. Any good?

Started by PorkyPrimeCut, February 05, 2016, 06:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkyPrimeCut

Hi folks.

I've not been here in ages but I need to finish some half-built projects & put some components to use that are gathering dust.
I've seen these enclosures & am very tempted by the painted ones as they save me the job of spraying them myself.....

They look very similar to the boxes Hammond make & my old Harmonic Percolator (Milwaukee built) which was in a similar enclosure was perfectly solid.
My only worry is that these Sunemall ones will look good but turn out to be substandard, flimsy & buckle under constant stomping.

Ideally I'll buy 2 but I don't want to be sat with useless enclosures & expensive shipping costs, especially if I have to return them.

Has anyone any experience with them?

Thanks, in advance!

nosamiam

I don't have any experience with those, but I recently got a Hammond enclosure with similar dimensions. It's powdercoated black top, front, and rear with blue sides and bottom. It's got the sturdiness you're looking for and the price is a little lower at Mouser. This is my first time using one of these enclosures and I really dig it. I get tired of 1590s but I'm not too keen on some of the other alternatives out there either. These are expensive though so I can't see using them all the time.

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/177/1456FE1-74285.pdf

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=1456FE1BKBUvirtualkey54600000virtualkey546-1456FE1BKBU

PorkyPrimeCut

Hey, thanks for the heads up with these.

I've gone through Farnell before but never Mouser (Farnell have a collection desk in Leeds, where my mum lives so it's easy to get stuff when I visit). I was aware of these black/blue ones as they're sold in the same dimensions as the Harmonic Percolator enclosure I mentioned. The more I look at them, the more it seems like the right way to go, what with your endorsement, so to speak. Free shipping too. What's not to like?

armdnrdy

I purchased one of the Sunemall enclosures for a future ADA Final Phase build.

I measured the thickness of the top and bottom pieces.
They are a thinner gauge than what is listed in the Hammond PDF.

With that being said...as long as your footswitch is located down by the shallow end of the slope...
I don't anticipate any issues if used in a normal fashion. (No full weight with army boots on!)

I would say that it's a fairly solid enclosure.

One problem with the Hammond....vents.
I contacted Hammond a few years ago inquiring about this style enclosure without vents....
Unfortunately....Hammond does not manufacture then.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

PorkyPrimeCut

Interesting. Thanks for your input.

I'm having postage issues with the SuneMall site. It looks as though they won't post to the UK so I've messaged them about it.

I'd be willing to take a punt on one of these as the finish is nicer than the black/blue ones.  With a bit of luck I'd be able to factor the cost of enclosure/shipping into the sales cost of the pedal build. I've a couple of interested buyers, one definite.

armdnrdy

You can also strengthen the enclosure by installing two aluminum flat stock supports (1" X 1/8") in the center of each side of the lower section, using 5 min. epoxy.

No exterior screws, and the support will inhibit any flexing of the top portion of the enclosure.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

PorkyPrimeCut

Do you have a link to the part you're suggesting?

I was looking at using some kind of threaded rod (that could be bolted or screwed at both sides) that would attach at both side & effectively keep the top section sat in place. You alternative might be simpler, if I'm visualising it properly.

PorkyPrimeCut

Just for the record, SuneMall just responded to my enquiry & invoiced me for $30.49 (inc $2.50 postage to the UK). Bare in mind, at the moment, these pedals are $10 cheaper than normal. Still quite a pricey little enclosure but I figured someone out there might be interested in splashing the cash a little.

I now have a Hammond & a SuneMall version ordered so I'll also be able to do a decent comparison, once they arrive.

armdnrdy

You can google aluminum flat stock or aluminum bar stock.

I drew an example of the support I was suggesting.
The supports go on either side of the bottom section.
The top of the enclosure will rest on the top of the aluminum flat stock support.
As I mentioned earlier, the flat stock only has to be about 1/8" (3mm) because the tolerance of the top and bottom are fairly tight.

PorkyPrimeCut

Aaaaah, now I see what you mean!

That's a much simpler solution to what I had in mind. Thanks!

Strategy

I've used a variety of non 15xx enclosures for bigger format pedals or just a different look and part of what differentiates them is the material. Some of them have a type of aluminum that is a lot "harder" than the traditional pedal enclosures. I recently built a synth matrix mixer project into a cool BUD enclosure but the aluminum was so hard - drilling, even with my drill press and the right bits, was really hard. The enclosure heated up from the friction! I also had this experience with a sloped LMB Heeger enclosure. So long story short just be sure that you have the proper bits for machining for the type of metal you're getting

Strategy
-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

PorkyPrimeCut

Quote from: nosamiam on February 05, 2016, 07:28:22 AM
.......I recently got a Hammond enclosure with similar dimensions. It's powdercoated black top, front, and rear with blue sides and bottom. It's got the sturdiness you're looking for and the price is a little lower at Mouser. This is my first time using one of these enclosures and I really dig it........

I forgot to ask, is your project finished? Any photos?

I'm interested to see how (or if) you attached the jack sockets to the back. The grill is in a pretty annoying spot.

Quote from: Strategy on February 05, 2016, 03:57:29 PM
I've used a variety of non 15xx enclosures for bigger format pedals or just a different look and part of what differentiates them is the material. Some of them have a type of aluminum that is a lot "harder" than the traditional pedal enclosures. I recently built a synth matrix mixer project into a cool BUD enclosure but the aluminum was so hard - drilling, even with my drill press and the right bits, was really hard. The enclosure heated up from the friction! I also had this experience with a sloped LMB Heeger enclosure. So long story short just be sure that you have the proper bits for machining for the type of metal you're getting

Strategy

This is a good point. I have to pick some parts up from a friend who has all the right bits & a decent press for this kind of thing. Hopefully he can help me out.

nosamiam

The project isn't finished. I'm at the drilling stage now. It's a big build and VERY tight in some places. I cut it really close. But it looks like it will all work out, for which I'm glad because botching a 1590 enclosure hurts a little but botching one of these... :-[

For this project, a phaser with lamps and voltage regulators on the PCB, I actually need the vents so they're not annoying. The jacks--there are a lot--are going on the back in a row along the bottom, beneath the vents. I never use enclosed jacks, but for the sake of getting them close together I'm using them this time.

I should have it basically finished this weekend, at least functioning. If so, I'll post some pics. I ordered some mono jacks where I needed stereo and I'm gonna do the decorating at a later time.

Quote from: PorkyPrimeCut on February 05, 2016, 04:12:25 PM
Quote from: nosamiam on February 05, 2016, 07:28:22 AM
.......I recently got a Hammond enclosure with similar dimensions. It's powdercoated black top, front, and rear with blue sides and bottom. It's got the sturdiness you're looking for and the price is a little lower at Mouser. This is my first time using one of these enclosures and I really dig it........

I forgot to ask, is your project finished? Any photos?

I'm interested to see how (or if) you attached the jack sockets to the back. The grill is in a pretty annoying spot.

Quote from: Strategy on February 05, 2016, 03:57:29 PM

Strategy

This is a good point. I have to pick some parts up from a friend who has all the right bits & a decent press for this kind of thing. Hopefully he can help me out.

armdnrdy

FYI:

The SuneMall enclosure consists of an aluminum top and a steel bottom.

nosamiam

Yeah, the Hammonds are the same materials.

Quote from: armdnrdy on February 05, 2016, 06:20:32 PM
FYI:

The SuneMall enclosure consists of an aluminum top and a steel bottom.

amptramp

You might want to test how much of a mechanical "clang" you get from stepping on the stompswitch.  The cast aluminum boxes limit this very well.  With a large flat panel, you might want to have some support for the panel beside the stompswitch.

PorkyPrimeCut

Quote from: amptramp on February 06, 2016, 05:13:15 PM
You might want to test how much of a mechanical "clang" you get from stepping on the stompswitch.  The cast aluminum boxes limit this very well.  With a large flat panel, you might want to have some support for the panel beside the stompswitch.

I'm not too concerned about that, at least not if the aluminium is the same thickness as my old Hamonic Percolator.
There was an audible difference between it & a regular die cast enclosure, as you say, kind of a hollowed clang noise, but it wasn't that much noisier than the click of the actual foot switch.

PorkyPrimeCut

Thought this might be of interest to some. I've received both enclosures & I have to say, the SuneMall one fits the bill more than the Hammond. Without the rubber feet the SuneMall one is a little smaller, even though they share the same sized footprint. If you include the feet, as I have, it makes it an almost identical size. They're both actually bigger than I'd expected (should've included something for scale)...

There's hardly a difference in rigidity. The Hammond may be a touch stronger but, to be honest, the SuneMall one is absolutely fine & will definitely stand up to repeated stomping.
I could do without the grills on the blue/black one. I could see them being useful, maybe if you're using a tube or something else that'll heat up. For a fuzz pedal though, they're completely unnecessary.

Bad-ass matt black wins!!

Strategy

The Hammond's are big - I did my Big Cheese Lovetone build in one some time ago: powdercoated yellow as I don't like the stock colors much.

-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

PorkyPrimeCut

Strategy, how did you find drilling it?

I only need to drill the softer, aluminium top & back so hopefully it won't be a problem.