Kleinulator effects loop box: anybody built one?

Started by Bucksears, February 08, 2016, 09:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksears

I'm looking at the Kleinulator layout on the Ceriatone forum, but wanted to ask here first before signing up for ANOTHER forum to ask questions.
Anybody built one? I'm just curious about the voltages on the caps that AREN'T marked.

Looking at the layout in this thread:

http://ceriatoneforum.com/overtone/kleinulator-update/

Thanks!
- Buck

Groovenut

I haven't built one. However looking at the layout...

It's safe to say 50VDC for all the caps (marked or not). The external power is 9VDC, then it's upverted with a charge pump and voltage tripler yielding around 25VDC internal operating voltage. You could probably even get away with 35VDC caps but for safety sake, I would just go with 50VDC.

8)
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

PRR

The pFd caps: if you find any under 50V rating, they will be too small to see or solder. Used to be they didn't make <100pFd any weaker than 500V, though micro-miniaturization has changed that.

In fact I see a "1ufd 100V" cap which almost certainly could be 3V rating. But 1uFd isn't too available in low-low voltage (in practical physical size); also it smells like a film-cap (large for 1u elco, no polarity). We may pick film over elco for "sound" (or personal prejudice), and film <100V is less common.

I'm not sure that is a tripler; I count six. However that last cap is 50V, so there won't be more than that (for long!). And the JFETs are likely 40V types (hi-volt JFETs are now rare). I'd take 50V everywhere unless otherwise noted; if I was drowning in 35V caps I'd try that.
  • SUPPORTER