Which resistor can I put instead 330ohm 1/2w?

Started by khm9, February 10, 2016, 04:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khm9

So on this site where I want to buy parts doesn't have a 330ohm 1/2w resistor. I'm building a fuzz face, so which resistor can i put here?

slacker

It doesn't need to be a 1/2w resistor, any 330Ohm will do. If they haven't got any 330Ohm pick the closest value they have 390Ohm or 470Ohm will work fine.

khm9

Thanks slacker, I've just found another sch. for fuzz face and 330ohm can be replaced with 470ohm

armdnrdy

Quote from: slacker on February 10, 2016, 04:30:28 PM
It doesn't need to be a 1/2w resistor, any 330Ohm will do. If they haven't got any 330Ohm pick the closest value they have 390Ohm or 470Ohm will work fine.

But what about the loss of the 1/2 watt mojo?
I swear...after a night of heavy drinking :o I can tell the difference between 1/4W and 1/2W resistors!  :icon_lol:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

slacker

ashcat_lt

Quote from: slacker on February 10, 2016, 04:58:00 PM
I prefer 1W for a fatter tone  ;)
But smaller resistors are warmer.  ;)

Anyway, if Q2 is shorted (the highest current situation) there will be like 0.3mW disipated in that resistor.  I think you'll be ok.  The 470 resistor would reduce the gain and maximum output by a tiny little bit, but I'm sure you'll never notice.

Kevin Mitchell

You guys are killing me.

khm9;
Where does it say you need a 1/2 watt resistor?

Notice the 2nd schematic uses pnp transistors and is - ground while the 1st uses npn and is + ground.

As slacker said use the next best value you have. Also I suggest you use 1/4 watt carbon or metal film resistors. Or whatever.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

Kevin Mitchell

• SUPPORTER

khm9

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on February 10, 2016, 08:03:38 PM
You guys are killing me.

khm9;
Where does it say you need a 1/2 watt resistor?

Notice the 2nd schematic uses pnp transistors and is - ground while the 1st uses npn and is + ground.

As slacker said use the next best value you have. Also I suggest you use 1/4 watt carbon or metal film resistors. Or whatever.

Original fuzz face used 1/2w carbon resistors +-5% tollerance.

I am a newbie. I have a long road ahead...

P.S. I don't know if I should take this seriously  :icon_eek:

mth5044

khm9

Since the board is fairly big in addition to how little components there are, I just had some kind of a need to fill the board up with the fat 1/2w resistors.
Plus they look cooler 8)

I really need to get this working or I'll be completely dispointed in diy, since my first build was just soldering parts on a IC muff pro fabricated pcb and it went horrible I ended up getting frustrated and throwing the board out of the window >:(

Now I've etched a fuzz face board myself and I feel confident  :icon_mrgreen:

mth5044

bluebunny

Quote from: khm9 on February 10, 2016, 11:19:14 PM
Since the board is fairly big in addition to how little components there are, I just had some kind of a need to fill the board up with the fat 1/2w resistors.
Plus they look cooler 8)

Disguise your puny 1/4W parts.  Gently pour molten wax over the resistor body whilst turning it, until it's bulked-up enough.  That red sealing wax would look ultra-cool.  How's that for steampunk mojo?   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

thermionix

I think you got that backwards.

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: thermionix on February 11, 2016, 03:17:39 AM

I think you got that backwards.

Eh yeah I tried to edit quick (and I double posted by mistage)
The top schematic is - ground and the 2nd with pnp transistors is + ground.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

I just want to add two things:

Quote from: ashcat_lt on February 10, 2016, 06:48:29 PM
But smaller resistors are warmer.  ;)

Anyway, if Q2 is shorted (the highest current situation) there will be like 0.3mW disipated in that resistor.  I think you'll be ok.  The 470 resistor would reduce the gain and maximum output by a tiny little bit, but I'm sure you'll never notice.

I was going to ask "don't the 1W's run hotter?" and

Quote from: bluebunny on February 11, 2016, 03:09:37 AM

Plus they look cooler 8)

Disguise your puny 1/4W parts.  Gently pour molten wax over the resistor body whilst turning it, until it's bulked-up enough.  That red sealing wax would look ultra-cool.  How's that for steampunk mojo?   ;)

get a 1W 330R (better! a 2W) and hollow it out, then stuff in your puny 1/4 W part, like they do in vintage valve amp caps.

what sort of parts joint ain't got no 330R 1/2W resistors?
don't make me draw another line.

ashcat_lt

Quote from: duck_arse on February 11, 2016, 08:55:52 AM

I was going to ask "don't the 1W's run hotter?" and

IDK for sure, but my thought was that a smaller resistor dissipating the same amount of power would get hotter because the heat is dissipated through a smaller volume and thus more concentrated...or something...this particular resistor won't get noticeably warm either way unless something else is seriously wrong.

smallbearelec

Now I've etched a fuzz face board myself and I feel confident

Before you commit to solder, get the parts working on a breadboard:

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardSiFF/BreadboardSiFF.htm

That way, you will at least know that when it does not work, you started with good parts and the problem is something else. Long painful experience...

PRR

That resistor's power spec must be more than 0.000,33 Watts.

You could not possibly buy (even see) a resistor too small for this application.

> Original fuzz face used 1/2w carbon resistors +-5% tollerance.

Up through the 1960s, we still built a lot of tube radios. Tube circuits often need 1/2W parts in several places. 1/2W resistors were VERY common, and very cheap. Smaller resistors were "special" and higher cost.

Older radios tolerated 20% tolerance resistors: nothing very critical except the price. "Good" resistors tended to 10% tolerance so you could do stuff fussier than a basic radio and get what you expected. 5% tolerance was extra-cost; I guess at some point the FF people were trying to control the wide variation from one box to the next by using more consistent resistor values. (Or their supplier decided to only stock 5% parts.)

By 1975-1980, with the fall of tubes and general use of lower-power transistors, 1/4W 5% resistors became the most common size, VAST supply, low price. I used 1/4W resistors for wire-ties.

Today 1/8W parts, often 2%, are very-very common, and cost less than the bag they put them in.

Metal film, carbon film, carbon composition, Nyobium wire.... the resistor material does NOT matter on your first Fuzz Face. To some degree, all resistors are good. And the point of a FF is to NOT be "good". Any difference in resistor-stuff will be drowned-out by severe distortion. Use the cheap resistors, they are fine.

As the Bear says, dry-fit or tack-together (breadboard) before you invest concrete (solder) in something which may not be right. If you have done any carpentry, or quilt-work, or even song-writing, you know to plink a few notes alone before you hire the full orchestra.
  • SUPPORTER

tubegeek

"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR