2in1 switching (again...) but different

Started by lars-musik, February 29, 2016, 09:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

potul

Hi

the one you posted will not work either, there are a lot of feedback loops and parallel connections....

I had an idea... If I understand correctly you want to be able to use these 2 different effects path:

Being A the distortion, B the booster and SWA the 3PDT general bypass. Note that Effect B (the booster) contains its independent bypass.

If you look at the circuit, between path 1 and path 2, the only differece is the order of circuit B and SWA2 (one of 3PDT poles)
So what about using the FX juggler to switch the order of these 2 elements? It will require a 3PDT switch, but I don't thing you can do any better.

If I have time tomorrow I will try to draw something... tonight I'm going out for dinner and I will not have the time.

lars-musik

Hey potul,

maybe I was over confident with my latest schematic. There are certainly some loops (I thought weren't to problematic).

I I am looking forward to your ideas (and drawings) on the subject - and I hope you had a nice evening!

potul

Ok, here it goes.

SW1 = stmopswitch, LED circuit not included
SW2= booster bypass
SW3 = "mode" switch 3PDT

I have pictured it with simple bypass, no grounding of circuits included. Probably you can redraw SW1 and SW2 to account for this.
The picture shows SW1 in bypass, SW2 in bypass and SW3 in "booster out of the master bypass" mode.

I think I've checked all combinations and they seem to do the right thing, take a look and let us know.

Mat

potul

BTW,.... you will need a 3PDT for the "mode switch". If you are going to have the booster bypass manual anyway (no stomp), maybe you could combine both SW2 and SW3 into a rotay 4P3T switch.
This way you would have 3 positions

-Booster enabled and inside master bypass
-Booster enabled and outside master bypass
-Bosster bypassed

garcho

sorry the pic is so awful

this still presents a problem in that if you switch the boost to be after the drive, and then set the boost to be on when you bypass the drive, the boost input will be grounded. if you can live without grounded input for the drive, this won't be a problem.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

lars-musik

Thanks to both of you.

I guess I need some time to translate your two solutions into my "schematics" to fully understand how they are working.

Very nice to have two options!

I'll get back, when I dug through this.

garcho

Quotethis still presents a problem in that if you switch the boost to be after the drive, and then set the boost to be on when you bypass the drive, the boost input will be grounded

i forgot to add, the boost input will then be grounded *once you actuate the 3PDT bypass foot switch*
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

lars-musik

Just wanted to let you know, I am still on it. Checking... checking.... checking... Restart...
Might be a while until my brain computes your drawings...

Just in case I won't make it offline I ordered these:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/391164992616

to just try it.

lars-musik

So this is what I made of your drawings:

Gary's suggestion
Quote from: garcho on March 04, 2016, 01:03:16 PM

this still presents a problem in that if you switch the boost to be after the drive, and then set the boost to be on when you bypass the drive, the boost input will be grounded. if you can live without grounded input for the drive, this won't be a problem.
becomes this:

and Mat's switching schem

Quote from: potul on March 04, 2016, 04:00:00 AM
[/URL]

this:

In order to find out what goes where and when I had to evaluate the possibilities with a print out and a pen.
The whole process can be reviewed here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjzwtfqvgzmlilz/Garcho_Potul_Eval_Scan.pdf?dl=0

Gary already pointed out, that the input grounding of the drive circuit will be a problem under certain switching conditions and of course he is right (Mat's schematic avoided grounding altogether, so this problem doesn't come up).
However, if I translated the drawing correctly there is another combination that leads to problems, this:

I can  only guess, but I think such a loop might not be good.

So it will be the 3PDT+DPDT solution for now.

Thank you both again for your persistence and generous help.

potul

Good to know my schem seems to work

By the way, I didn't pay much attention to grounding, so probably it's possible to use my schem with some changes to provide circuit input grounding. I think using the typical configuration, reversing the input sw ou can achieve it at least in some of the combinations.

Mat