I can't get my Rebote Delay to work, please help.

Started by bobbysatya, March 05, 2016, 02:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbysatya

Hello everyone, I've just finished building rebote delay 2.5 circuit from tonepad but no sound came out of it. Not even the clean signal. It has a weird symptom, when I unplugged the power supply and I touch the output jack with my finger, it made some noise but when I plugged the power supply in, the noise was gone even when I tapped it several times. As for now, I'm pretty sure I did not make any soldering mistake as I have checked it many times. Oh and I also measure the voltages of all three chips pins as follow :

Op Amp :
1-4.58v
2-4.58v
3-4.57v
4-0v
5-4.47v
6-4.57v
7-4.58v
8-9.09v

78L05
In-9.09v
G-0v
Out-5.13v

PT2399
1-5.13v
2-2.48v
3-0v
4-0v
5-3.1v
6-2.48v
7-0.635v
8-0.68v
9-2.48v
10-2.48v
11-2.48v
12-2.48v
13-2.48v
14-2.48v
15-2.48v
16-2.48v

I hope this voltage measurement will give you clues about what has gone wrong with my circuit. I'll try to post the picture of my PCB tonight. Thanks in advance. Have a good day everyone.
Vacuum tube? It's like a light bulb with extra wires, right?

duck_arse

your voltages look ok, so we'd be expecting the dreaded "wiring error". photos. do you have an audio probe?
don't make me draw another line.

bobbysatya

Sorry, for some reason I was unable to post the photo tonight. Pardon my ignorance but what kind of device is an audio probe? I tried to trace the error by removing the PT2399 and plugging the output jack directly into pin 7 of the op-amp which is the output of the circuit's first stage to see if the chip worked allright. But the problem persists. That means NO SIGNAL is entering the next stages. I was looking for solder bridges, bad joints etc to no avail. The wiring seemed OK no matter how many times I looked at it. This is frustating, this is my fourth build of Rebote Delay and I had no problem with previous three. Guess I'll etch a new PCB and move all the components to the new one.

slacker

Quote from: bobbysatya on March 05, 2016, 12:01:14 PM
...what kind of device is an audio probe?

Have a look here http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=Debugging it's basically doing what you've already done by connecting the jack to pin 7 of the opamp. There's only 3 or 4 components before the opamp on a rebote so if you probe all the points between the tip of the input jack socket and the opamp you should find where the problem is fairly quickly.

bobbysatya

I see. This circuit is acting really weird. It passes no signal whatsoever but I could still hear some noises when I touched the tip of the output jack. The weird part is when I plugged the power supply all the noises were gone as if they were shunted to ground completely. I suspected that the pin 7 is either shorted to ground or vb but nothing confirmed this. I even replaced the chips too but nothing changed. What do you think caused the pin 7 to pass no signal?

slacker

Pin 7 could be shorted to pin 6 or pin 6 could be shorted to pin 5, either of those would give no sound. Have you checked the signal is getting to the board?

bobbysatya

Yes I have. I plugged the output jack directly to the other side of C1, the sound was there. But it didn't make it through the pin 7. I tought the chip was broken but then I tried sticking it into my lovepedal kalamazoo clone and it turned out ok. That means it's extremely likely that I'm having a short somewhere in the circuit. Gotta check it in the morning it's getting late here.

bobbysatya

Bad news guys, I couldn't find any short in the circuit. All the connections seemed OK. Is it possible that I'm having faulty components? In worst case, I've etched a new PCB I'll just move the components into it tomorrow.

vigilante397

No attempt at pictures? Those can be very helpful in debugging.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

bobbysatya

Too late, I have depopulated the PCB. Nevermind, I'm just gonna rebuild with a new PCB and old parts. The previous PCB was kinda messy anyway. My dulled drill is to blame.

bobbysatya

Done! A newly etched PCB solved all the problems. I still have no idea what had gone wrong though.

duck_arse

can we have a photo of the old board, solder side, even tho it has no parts? give us something to look at!
don't make me draw another line.

bobbysatya