DOD Death Metal FX86B no gain pot

Started by Fndr8875, March 09, 2016, 06:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fndr8875

Ok so it was sunday and i was driving, happened to see a pawn shop open. So just went in to see what they had. Anyway the pedal was 15 bucks, i got it for 9 dollars. So i figured worst case could either trade it into guitar center or use it for parts or the enclosure. I failed to realize there is no gain control on it. Ive searched google like 50 times and cant find a schematic, i found a post that refers to the DOD FX86, but nothing on the 86 B. its got 4 right angled pots all W100k. I thought that was odd. ive got a 20kW from a boss SD-1 amd know its used in tube screamer. Oh its positive ground to add the list of "Features" lol. Anyway i can take a take and up load it if anyone has any interest in checking it out. got a lot of components. 2 dual opamps , 1 quad op amp? not sure if thats the correct term is 16 pins, about 100 reistors , 3 j201s, 3 5088s, and ton of every kind of cap there is, film, ceramic, tantulam electrolytic, anyway, i think it would be a decent pedal if i could significantly lower the gain, oh and get rid of god awful eclosure graphics. The eq is pretty nice on it.

bloxstompboxes

The W100k is probably correct. A lot of the DOD pedals I have seen use the W taper.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Kipper4

I have 2 shematics for the fx86 Death Metal,  not the fx86B
the one with 5 control knobs says, the (kick) Gain pot is 100k doesnt specify taper though for any pots.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Ben Lyman

From the manual:
"The FX86B creates a grinding wall of noise perfect for harmonic corruption of the highest order. The FX86 emulates the death metal and grindcore sounds of Napalm Death, Carcass, Brutal Truth, Pungent Stench, and others. One advantage of the FX86B is that it will oscillate when the R.I.P. (LEVEL) control is turned up, allowing  :o oscillation at any amp volume  8) . There is no distortion control. We just turned it up and ripped it off!"
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

Kipper4

The RIP (level) pot is just the output level pot.
I'd check and see if it works first
if so it's probably got a 100k-110k resistor in the NFB loop of the ic before the clipping diodes to replace the gain pot.
All the images I've googled dont have a hole for the pot. though you could probably put your own in and mod it. or use an inline 100k trimmer as an inside the box mod. Dependant on if its through hole or smd.
It might effect the value though if you decided to trade it at GC.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/