ts-808 low volume and low gain

Started by abakuzam, March 12, 2016, 02:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abakuzam

hello, i made ts-808 with this : http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/circuits/tubescreamer/

voltages : Battery :9,5v

IC

1: 4.71
2: 4.71
3: 4.7
4 : 0
5 : 4.71
6 : 4.71
7 : 4.71
8 : 9.5

Q1

E : 3.0
B : 2,64
C : 9.47

Q2

E : 3,54
B : 2,88
C : 9.47

i checked all the components, solder bridges, pots, cables, diodes, values . But i still have low gain and low volume . Tone control works, Q1 looked like has wrong voltages betwwen E-B, it was 0,6-0,7 no effect, now i m tryinh with 1N4148, i used film caps for tantailums. İ made this pcb before, i had no problems:)

Diodes : 1s1588

Any suggestions to get more volume( nofx volume is higher ) , and gain?

jimilee

Pictures of both sides,  did you check for bridges that should have otherwise etched off (stray copper) I just ran in to thisnissue, and jumpers.

abakuzam

Quote from: jimilee on March 12, 2016, 04:08:07 PM
Pictures of both sides,  did you check for bridges that should have otherwise etched off (stray copper) I just ran in to thisnissue, and jumpers.
Yeah i did, also cleaned with alcohol, looked at it under bright light, checked the jumpers, cold solder joints, all good, tried with out bypass system, with new battery, all seems good, i think i will stick with tonepads layout

jimilee

It's a good layout, I used it once myself.

abakuzam

Quote from: jimilee on March 12, 2016, 05:43:33 PM
It's a good layout, I used it once myself.

any suggestions for my current layout and problem?

GibsonGM

You should audio probe the circuit, following along with the schematic, and listen for when it 'changes'. That will help you determine where the trouble is.

I am wondering if you got the pinout for your transistors correct?    How about the resistor values around the transistors?   Those voltages are off.  I'd take a look at the base of the trannies, be sure the resistor there (510K?) is correct value and connected to the bias supply...should be more like 4.5 V...

Take time to work this one out, it is a good time to learn debugging :)  What transistors did you use, first of all...and are you sure EBC is oriented correctly?   What is the DC voltage from base to ground?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

abakuzam

Quote from: GibsonGM on March 12, 2016, 05:50:20 PM
You should audio probe the circuit, following along with the schematic, and listen for when it 'changes'. That will help you determine where the trouble is.

I am wondering if you got the pinout for your transistors correct?    How about the resistor values around the transistors?   Those voltages are off.  I'd take a look at the base of the trannies, be sure the resistor there (510K?) is correct value and connected to the bias supply...should be more like 4.5 V...

Take time to work this one out, it is a good time to learn debugging :)  What transistors did you use, first of all...and are you sure EBC is oriented correctly?   What is the DC voltage from base to ground?

2N3904, Correct pinout, all resistors and caps values correct, tried with different transistors (2N3904) Base-Ground measurement is on my first post, but i wanted to do what i can before audioprobe it :) i will try to check it on daylight :)

jimilee

Sounds like audio probe time. Layout looks great to me.

GibsonGM

I would expect the emitter to be about .7V less than the base...yours is the other way around...should see about 2V on the emitters, and 2.7is on the base.   Not higher, as you've got written above.

You might go ahead and make an audio probe - you WILL use it if (when) you get addicted to this hobby!  Now's a good time to dig in and start using it...don't worry, it's almost always a small thing that causes the problems.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

abakuzam

Quote from: GibsonGM on March 12, 2016, 06:19:19 PM
I would expect the emitter to be about .7V less than the base...yours is the other way around...should see about 2V on the emitters, and 2.7is on the base.   Not higher, as you've got written above.

You might go ahead and make an audio probe - you WILL use it if (when) you get addicted to this hobby!  Now's a good time to dig in and start using it...don't worry, it's almost always a small thing that causes the problems.

you are right, time to take off my lazy a** from chair :D

GibsonGM

Quote from: abakuzam on March 12, 2016, 06:23:49 PM

One must of course always look  for the way to "fix" something without having to do anything, ha ha! :) 

Sadly, if you have power, the switch is on, and your logical causes for trouble have been checked out...it's time leave the chair and grab the screwdriver! 

Make a decent audio probe, it's 1) cool to hear what each stage is doing and 2) you'll use it often if you build more things, which I'm sure you will.
Can save you a lot of head-scratching!
  • SUPPORTER

abakuzam

Quote from: GibsonGM on March 13, 2016, 08:41:24 AM
Quote from: abakuzam on March 12, 2016, 06:23:49 PM

One must of course always look  for the way to "fix" something without having to do anything, ha ha! :) 

Sadly, if you have power, the switch is on, and your logical causes for trouble have been checked out...it's time leave the chair and grab the screwdriver! 

Make a decent audio probe, it's 1) cool to hear what each stage is doing and 2) you'll use it often if you build more things, which I'm sure you will.
Can save you a lot of head-scratching!
Thanks man, i will debug that bastard, i mean i made tube scremers like 10 times, never had any problem, but there is first for everthing