question about 4558 op amps- can i use this one?

Started by plexi12000, March 15, 2016, 04:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plexi12000

hey guys.....i'm lookin at this schematic, it uses a LM4558.  can i use the NJM4558's i have on hand?  thank you!

vigilante397

Quote from: plexi12000 on March 15, 2016, 04:51:44 PM
hey guys.....i'm lookin at this schematic, it uses a LM4558.  can i use the NJM4558's i have on hand?  thank you!

Yes.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

bloxstompboxes

Yeah, they are pretty much the same chip. The LM is probably Texas Instruments or something and the NJM is New Japanese Radio, which is the old JRC Japanese Radio Corporation. It will work. But you can get one of each and see if there are any differences at all. Audiophiles would step in and say yes. We... not so much.

Edit: Vigilante beat me to it.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

plexi12000

thank you gents! I appreciate the come back.  your exactly right Blox!  the LM is a TI....at least the one i looked up online  :)

Thanks again-

bloxstompboxes

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

PRR

I think the '4558 starts as RC4558, which may be Raytheon. Do not know who owns that now.

It is a modest part which invites second-sourcing.

All the LMxxx parts were sold by National Semiconductor. NS's business was bought by TI a few years back.

NJR made it in Japan, and for years variants of '4558 were their mainstay products. They use a NJM prefix.

It is good to check. "Usually" you can sort-out the same-function/spec part from different makers, and all will work. However LM386 is a small audio amp, 80386 is a large CPU. The world is running out of numbers and I have been seeing new modern parts under numbers which echo parts from the 1970s.
  • SUPPORTER