blank FR4 board "storage"?

Started by plexi12000, March 19, 2016, 11:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plexi12000

hey dudes....i bought a 6x6 blank board a few weeks ago.  made two boards..prolly be a while until i use any more of it.

obviously dont take long til oxidation starts in.  i was thinkin maybe i should wipe on a thin coat of like wd40...then put it back in its zip lock bag.

does anyone else do anything like this? -or am i just being anal retentive? lol   thanks-

J0K3RX

From experience, DO NOT put WD-40 on your PCB's!!! I even re-sanded mine and they still wouldn't take a toner transfer...  That sh!t soaks into the copper. use a zip-lok bag or something but be warned of WD-40! Honestly, I really wouldn't use any oils. :icon_frown:
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

R.G.

For short periods, wrap it in kitchen cling wrap film, such as Saran wrap.

For long periods, either ignore it and count on scrubbing it with a kitchen cleaner like Bon Ami or Barkeeper's Friend (because you ought to be doing this before resist and etch anyway) or spray it with spray lacquer, then count on scrubbing off the lacquer with lacquer thinner or acetone. You ought to be doing a lacquer thinner or acetone clean before resistant and etch anyway to remove any oils.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

J0K3RX

Quote from: R.G. on March 20, 2016, 10:02:49 AM
For short periods, wrap it in kitchen cling wrap film, such as Saran wrap.

For long periods, either ignore it and count on scrubbing it with a kitchen cleaner like Bon Ami or Barkeeper's Friend (because you ought to be doing this before resist and etch anyway) or spray it with spray lacquer, then count on scrubbing off the lacquer with lacquer thinner or acetone. You ought to be doing a lacquer thinner or acetone clean before resistant and etch anyway to remove any oils.

Barkeeper's Friend is some of the best stuff ever!! I have been using it for years even before I was building pedals. That is some magical powder right there! :icon_wink:

R.G.

Yeah, but I hear it ruins your sinuses, makes you nauseated and gives you massive headaches if you snort it though.  :icon_lol:

Note, for the criminally bewildered or naive but adrenaline-addicted: That is a joke. Do not snort Barkeeper's Friend or any other kitchen cleanser powder. The stuff is cheap, but trips to the emergency room are expensive.

I hate that we live in a world where that kind of notice is needed.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

R.G.

I just wanted to NOT be the origin of another fad like breathing paint propellant.    :icon_lol:   :icon_eek:   :icon_lol:

This would be funnier if there wasn't a danger that someone would think it wasn't just a joke.

R.G.

J0K3RX

R.G. - Thanks for the "heads up" on that! I just meant that Barkeeper's Friend cleans the hell outa copper. brass etc... Never really thought of it as nose candy :o Besides, my nasal passages are all tore up from my anthrax addiction so, I'll prolly just pass on BKF :icon_wink:

armdnrdy

Quote from: J0K3RX on March 20, 2016, 11:30:10 PM
R.G. - Thanks for the "heads up" on that! I just meant that Barkeeper's Friend cleans the hell outa copper. brass etc... Never really thought of it as nose candy :o Besides, my nasal passages are all tore up from my anthrax addiction so, I'll prolly just pass on BKF :icon_wink:

Disclaimer:

Anthrax taken orally, inhaled, injected, or administered rectally can lead to serious complications possibly resulting in death.

If you or a loved one have experienced
•Flu-like symptoms, such as sore throat, mild fever, fatigue and muscle aches, which may last a few hours or days.
•Mild chest discomfort.
•Shortness of breath.
•Nausea.
•Coughing up blood.
•Painful swallowing.
•Death
caused by exposure to Anthrax...please consult an attorney.  ::)
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)