Some misbehaving vero layouts....

Started by iampoor, March 22, 2016, 05:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iampoor

Hi

I have a few misbehaving pedals on veroboard right now. Would anyone mind giving these a look over? They are driving me nuts!
All values are right and I dont see any solder bridges. Been starring at these for far too long now!  :icon_lol:

DBA Robot
No signal past first opamp stage. draws ~120ma of current. Not sure if this is normal or not...
I have two short wires to toggle the "robot" mod. Havent even been able to get signal to the HT8950 yet.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QbkA3stWJAk/UZeKULtChlI/AAAAAAAAFmo/0Mg9UHdBPUc/s1600/Death+By+Audio+Robot+Mod.png

Nurse Quacky...envelope filter doesnt seem to do anything. Cant see any signal on my scope. I have tried an LM1458 and lm358
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2k-uJ0HUoYc/UPMGIlnIkbI/AAAAAAAAArs/Mu5kMF4vJuk/s1600/Nurse-Quacky-R2.png

imgur link to photos

http://imgur.com/a/hJu1A

Ben Lyman

Maybe examine very closely those cuts.  Scrape and cut with an exacto knife around the edges to make sure no hair-thin trace of copper is left.
Seems like a good place to start, sorry I can't be more help but, at the very least, I just gave your query a bump  :D
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

LightSoundGeometry

I just posted about my arcadiator woes and me thinks its not my skills but a bad IC someplace ..

if you cant find any errors , leave it alone and buy some ICs from small bear or a similar place who has real stuff and try the swap out the IC chips

could be a wrong value or bad part in there as well ..usually its the active parts that are causing the no go ..I have a few boards I been staring at for weeks now but they are on perf so it coul d be my skills ..I can get this charge pump on vero myself but I am having trouble doing it on perf ..perf is a mother ...but oh so nice looking

iampoor

Quote from: Ben Lyman on March 23, 2016, 05:26:49 PM
Maybe examine very closely those cuts.  Scrape and cut with an exacto knife around the edges to make sure no hair-thin trace of copper is left.
Seems like a good place to start, sorry I can't be more help but, at the very least, I just gave your query a bump  :D

Good idea. I will look again. You never know. Its always good to quadruple check! :D 

Anything helps!

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on March 23, 2016, 05:33:27 PM
I just posted about my arcadiator woes and me thinks its not my skills but a bad IC someplace ..

if you cant find any errors , leave it alone and buy some ICs from small bear or a similar place who has real stuff and try the swap out the IC chips

could be a wrong value or bad part in there as well ..usually its the active parts that are causing the no go ..I have a few boards I been staring at for weeks now but they are on perf so it coul d be my skills ..I can get this charge pump on vero myself but I am having trouble doing it on perf ..perf is a mother ...but oh so nice looking

Do you have an oscilloscope?

All of my IC's (minus the ht8950 which signal is not even getting too) are from digikey and bran new, so I hope I didnt mess anything up!

I have a love hate relationship with perfboard. Everytime I have issues (like with these layouts), I regret not using the breadboard. Vice versa.  :icon_lol:

joeowens994

I've also got a Nurse Quacky built on that layout which just doesn't want to work. I've gone over my vero, the posted vero layout and the schematic and I can't find a fault so we may have the same issue. Did you match the 3mm LEDs you used? I can't see it making a huge difference but it's the only thing I didn't look into when I built it.

iampoor

Quote from: joeowens994 on March 23, 2016, 10:38:24 PM
I've also got a Nurse Quacky built on that layout which just doesn't want to work. I've gone over my vero, the posted vero layout and the schematic and I can't find a fault so we may have the same issue. Did you match the 3mm LEDs you used? I can't see it making a huge difference but it's the only thing I didn't look into when I built it.

Do you have an oscilloscope? What opamp did you use? Is the LED going to the + side of the opamp always on?

I didnt match my LED's, but the ones I have are usually pretty close. Ive noticed my signal disappears around the envelope follower opamp section on my oscilloscope.

LightSoundGeometry

I wish I had an Oscop e..but they are around 200 bucks or more and I am barely even eating right now ...I am on a very tight budget , sucks .

I am waiting on making my function generator until I can buy me an Oscope some day.

joeowens994

Quote from: iampoor on March 23, 2016, 11:24:39 PM
Do you have an oscilloscope? What opamp did you use? Is the LED going to the + side of the opamp always on?

I didnt match my LED's, but the ones I have are usually pretty close. Ive noticed my signal disappears around the envelope follower opamp section on my oscilloscope.

Yeah I've got one LED always lit, the other one I believe is supposed to flash as you play but doesn't light at all for me. I'm using a LM1458, but I've also tried a 4558 with the same result. I get a very quiet signal coming through when I play harder and turn the sensitivity control but definitely not what I'd expect it to sound like. I'd love to know what's going wrong in it because I just couldn't find anything at all.

iampoor

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on March 24, 2016, 02:34:07 AM
I wish I had an Oscop e..but they are around 200 bucks or more and I am barely even eating right now ...I am on a very tight budget , sucks .

I am waiting on making my function generator until I can buy me an Oscope some day.

Gotcha. You might enjoy this free software then..
http://www.sillanumsoft.org/prod01.htm
Works well :)

If you havent already picked one up, I have had good luck with this kit. Does about 80hz-5k
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321937147204?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Hard to beat for 4$!  ;D

Quote from: joeowens994 on March 24, 2016, 09:01:05 AM
Quote from: iampoor on March 23, 2016, 11:24:39 PM

Yeah I've got one LED always lit, the other one I believe is supposed to flash as you play but doesn't light at all for me. I'm using a LM1458, but I've also tried a 4558 with the same result. I get a very quiet signal coming through when I play harder and turn the sensitivity control but definitely not what I'd expect it to sound like. I'd love to know what's going wrong in it because I just couldn't find anything at all.

Interesting. Sounds like similar symptoms. I will look it over again and let you know what I find!

LightSoundGeometry

sweet ^ I will have to check that out..we dont even use O scopes in class , its all hard number crunching mathematics and physics ..and I am doing a lot better in digital than analog , analog seems to be insane with math, and boolean algebra and logic is fairly simple for the most part but we really just number crunch ,,maybe all the debugging and stuff will come later on? its already the week after spring break and we havent turned on a Function generator or scope yet. 

we looked at some wave forms here and there during the power supply rectifiers, types of amplifiers like class a, b, pushpull etc and in digital with time stuff.

* looks like the free ware comes with a function generator built in  ?

"Wave-form generator with "custom functions", triangular, square, sinus, white noise and pulse generation (NO ALIASING);"

iampoor

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on March 24, 2016, 06:05:03 PM
sweet ^ I will have to check that out..we dont even use O scopes in class , its all hard number crunching mathematics and physics ..and I am doing a lot better in digital than analog , analog seems to be insane with math, and boolean algebra and logic is fairly simple for the most part but we really just number crunch ,,maybe all the debugging and stuff will come later on? its already the week after spring break and we havent turned on a Function generator or scope yet. 

we looked at some wave forms here and there during the power supply rectifiers, types of amplifiers like class a, b, pushpull etc and in digital with time stuff.

* looks like the free ware comes with a function generator built in  ?

"Wave-form generator with "custom functions", triangular, square, sinus, white noise and pulse generation (NO ALIASING);"

I doubt you will be doing alot of practical application in college., Atleast the stereotype Ive heard...I didnt go to univ for electronics. The theory is great to know although. AN yes, analog i so many formulas....all I can say is LTSpice helps.  :icon_biggrin:

Actually, your right it does! I never noticed that, Ive only used it for the spectrum analyzer feature.