Resistor question

Started by lapsteelman, March 24, 2016, 04:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lapsteelman

I was looking at a pack a resistors I received recently.  They are made by Xicon.

What I noticed is that on this particular pack of resistors the coating that is over the resistor with the color code, ends right at the resistor and you can see were the lead connects into the "body" of the resistor.  They all check fine. The whole pack is like this.

Could this lead to issues down the line or is it just aesthetics?

stallik

I'm no expert so please wait for the real wizards to chip in but it occurs to me me that the chipping which can occur as the leads are bent on resistors with varnish all the way over the leads might be lessened with the ones you describe?
I'd always wondered if such chipping and cracking could extend over the body of the resistor and effect the longevity of the component. I believe that the correct way to bend the leads is not to stress the body but I'm a bit careless in this regard
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: lapsteelman on March 24, 2016, 04:35:00 PM
I was looking at a pack a resistors I received recently.  They are made by Xicon.

What I noticed is that on this particular pack of resistors the coating that is over the resistor with the color code, ends right at the resistor and you can see were the lead connects into the "body" of the resistor.  They all check fine. The whole pack is like this.

being resistors are only .01 per unit, I would not take any chances if you have to question them and just use nice, fat, new ones with no chips.  this is the reason I stopped buying all those expensive tropical fish caps ,,they crumble like dust if barely fooled with.

GibsonGM

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on March 24, 2016, 06:07:33 PM

being resistors are only .01 per unit, I would not take any chances if you have to question them and just use nice, fat, new ones with no chips.  this is the reason I stopped buying all those expensive tropical fish caps ,,they crumble like dust if barely fooled with.

Wow, LSG - you say that as if transforming to dust is a negative quality in fine capacitors...just...wow....  *rolling eyes*

:)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: GibsonGM on March 24, 2016, 07:24:48 PM

Wow, LSG - you say that as if transforming to dust is a negative quality in fine capacitors...just...wow....  *rolling eyes*

I have little finesse but working on it

greaser_au

What type of resistors are they?    With carbon and metal film resistors I'd expect to see paint over the end caps down to the leads, but with carbon composition resistors the lead end welds are usually visible.

david

karbomusic

Metal film Zicons run about 10 cents each until you buy in bulk where qty 200 brings it down to 2 cents each. I just checked the ones I have and do not see the symptom the OP explained so maybe they aren't metal film. I've used Zicons for a couple years now and can't see how they would ever be an issue in general.

thermionix

Quote from: greaser_au on March 25, 2016, 10:47:05 AM
What type of resistors are they?    With carbon and metal film resistors I'd expect to see paint over the end caps down to the leads, but with carbon composition resistors the lead end welds are usually visible.

david

+1

If they read good, they're probably fine.  Use 'em.

lapsteelman

They're Xicon 1/4 watt carbon films.  I get this same kind all the time and they're usually not like this.

amptramp

One man's quality defect is another man's mojo.