How to get +5v and -5 volts with an LT1054?

Started by Kevin Mitchell, March 27, 2016, 08:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Mitchell

The titles says it.

I've been messing with LFOs and OTA phasers and I'm hoping a LT1054 can substitute 2 ICs, 78L05 for +5v and 79L05 for -5v. I was thinking it could be done similar to how the inverter from the FSH-1 from Tonepad is set up.

Here's what I'm working with...

With +9v going to the power supply obviously...

Could anyone elaborate on this? Perhaps explain whats going in regards of the voltage inverter as well as to lower the voltage? Why was 470 ohms chosen? How should I go about getting the + and - 5 volts? Does the entirety of the circuit it's powering become a factor?
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

armdnrdy

What circuit is this for?

It's not too often that 5 volt bipolar power is needed for a stompbox circuit.
I can only think of one...the Quadrafuzz.

Post the circuit/s you're working with...then we can see what you actually need.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

bean

If your voltage requirements are 9v, 5v and -5v, just use an LM78L05 to feed the LT1054 and invert that for the -5v.

Kevin Mitchell

After reevaluating what I was aiming for, the LFO I had my eye on may not suit what I need. Though I am still curious if the power supply from the FSH-1 could be adapted for what I was asking about.

I'm going with a different approach and will still need the two + and - 5v regulators. I will indeed need -9 volts for what I'll be working on. This post was regarding a glorified OTA Phaser and implementing it's LFO to another project I'm working on. I'll be back to talk about it soon.

Thanks for the advice!
  • SUPPORTER

lars-musik

If anyone needs these kinds of voltages - I had a serius mispurchase some time ago and have a bag (or rather some bags) full of LT1054L (with the "L" meaning no good for 9V, just up to 7.5V input voltage) in smd format. I'll happily part with 10 or 50 or 100 of these little buggers for little money. Shipping preferably to somewhere in Europe.

Kevin Mitchell

An update and another question;

I'm tinkering with something that requires +9v, +5v, GND, -5v and -9v. The current requirement of the circuit will likely require more than 100ma (yes I know this isn't common but it's for an uncommon circuit). I've been trying find an example to help wrap my head around this power supply but no luck so far.

Could someone share an example of parallel LT054s used as a inverter (yielding -9v) as well as a current doubler? Please and thank you!

I'll use a LM78L05 and an LM79L05 for +5v and -5v from there.
  • SUPPORTER