Calling all fuzz guys, looking for a build

Started by Screamingdeal, March 27, 2016, 09:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Screamingdeal

Similar to the greenhouse sludgehammer. Check the review on the youtube by Ryan Bruce. Now I am not a fuzz guy, never owned one, but this pedal has changed my mind. I am a big fan of sludge bands like Down, Crowbar, Eye hate God and the like. If anyone can point me in the direction of a fuzz build that has the tone and sound similar to the sludgehammer I would appreciate it.

nocentelli

Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Kipper4

Is that it Leo?
Buffer >500x gain stage> SRPP and tone control.
The srpp will be noisey/fuzzy on its own.

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

mac

What about removing the buffer, or placing it at the output.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

exztinct01

i loved the sound of that pedal too. Hope someone can give the exact schematic of that circuit.
~ Stephen

nocentelli

Quote from: Kipper4 on March 28, 2016, 06:07:18 AM
Is that it Leo?
Buffer >500x gain stage> SRPP and tone control.
The srpp will be noisey/fuzzy on its own.

It's from a trace of an original unit at the other place:

http://tinyurl.com/zyxbtyh

Kipper4

Thanks Leo.
Theres your schematic then guys.

Grey Paper.

exztinct01

~ Stephen

Gus

nocentelli

is that schematic correct?  I don't like the "design"
If one looks close it is gain stages into something like a BMP tone control(50K and 10k loading of the tone control?)

I would adjust a muff circuit

nocentelli

Quote from: Screamingdeal on March 27, 2016, 09:32:19 PMCalling all fuzz guys, looking for a build..... Similar to the greenhouse sludgehammer.

Gus, if you look at the gutshots in the link I provided, you will be able to judge for yourself how close the schematic is to the Greenhouse sludgehammer that OP requested (I did not trace it, I assume deafbutpicky drew what he could see and guess from the pictures provided by Jooshtin). I'm also not that keen on the overdriven muamp thing, but I'm not a big fan of the BMP tonestack either.

Kipper4

" I'm also not that keen on the overdriven muamp thing,"

I agree with you there Leo.
I built the Shaka 5 and it was much better without the mu amp and still had loads of volume.

Grey Paper.

mac

Quoteis that schematic correct?  I don't like the "design"
If one looks close it is gain stages into something like a BMP tone control(50K and 10k loading of the tone control?)

I would adjust a muff circuit

I agree.
The input impedance of the opamp gain stage is big enough, I don't know if the input buffer is needed.
And as Gus noted, there is some loading at the output, so the input buffer could be adapted as a recovery stage or output buffer to make the tone control independent of whatever comes next.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Screamingdeal

Found another fuzz called black goat fuzz. It's a beast too. Should be easy to modify a tone bender or a fuzz face.

nocentelli

Quote from: Screamingdeal on April 02, 2016, 11:52:20 PM
Found another fuzz called black goat fuzz. It's a beast too. Should be easy to modify a tone bender or a fuzz face.

Roland Bee Baa clone?

Gus

Gus, if you look at the gutshots in the link I provided, you will be able to judge for yourself how close the schematic is to the Greenhouse sludgehammer that OP requested (I did not trace it, I assume deafbutpicky drew what he could see and guess from the pictures provided by Jooshtin). I'm also not that keen on the overdriven muamp thing, but I'm not a big fan of the BMP tonestack either.
[/quote]

I did not look at the link. 
Maybe the first poster should test a IC BMP like circuit.

deafbutpicky

the red traces are assumptions as I couldn't see what's beneath the op amp on the pictures.
I'd say it's totally reasonable to put this at the end of the tonestack.
BTW I put the  tonestack buffered into my tube overdrive and really like the sounds I can get with it.
values: cap to ground 68n, parallel cap 47n, no modern, no bypass cap on tone pot, 510 ohm
series resistance to body pot.