DS-1 True Bypass Issue

Started by ds501st, March 28, 2016, 08:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ds501st

I've been going off of Moro's thread on true bypass for the DS-1, and I am confused about something he provided.

Maybe I've been thinking too hard about this, and have solder-brain, maybe both.

The wiring diagram he provided has two inputs and two outputs attached to the outer sides of the switch.

But I can't find two inputs and two outputs. Is this a situation where only one input and one output will be attached to the switch. So, essentially, the switch goes on (bypassing the pedal which is always sending an effect) and then off allowing the effect to be heard? Parts of that make sense, and parts of it don't make sense to me.

I'll start at step 1.   ;)

QuoteQ6: Remove and put jumper across S & D. (The outside pads.)
Q7: ditto
Q8: Remove.

That's pretty much it. At this point, you can test it by plugging it in. If you step on the switch, the LED will toggle on and off but the effect will always be on.

[CHECK]

QuoteIf that works, you can go ahead and wire it up. Remove the stock momentary switch (wires 13 and 17). Then you can take the input (wire 1), the output (wire 11), and the LED cathode (wire 18) and use your bypass wiring of choice.

Would Wire 1 be considered circuit input? Or Input Jack?

Would wire 11 be considered circuit output? Or output jack?

Wire 18 speaks for itself.

Now, 13 gets wired to the output sleeve for ground. 17 is not used?

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/The-Mod-Zone-_/EZ_3PDT_WIRING.gif.html

Using ^^ as a wiring reference.

mph

Hi

please have a look at the schematic.
You'll see the input and output jacks are hardwired to the circuit. Maybe to perform your mod you'll have to separate the jack IN from the circuit IN via the new bypass switch.
Good luck.

ds501st

ds501st

Wire 1 is the Circuit input. Wire 11 is Circuit Output.

I copied and pasted it myself. I feel dumb.  :P

Success though.

ds501st

Wire 1 is the input, ok. Wire 11 is the output, ok. It's still not working. The bypass function works, but in this configuration, there is no effect going through the pedal.

I'm having trouble reading the schematic.

Would wire 1 go to the switch, and the output from the switch go to the output jack? This seems like it would make sense. Instead of pcb input to the switch, and output back to the pcb seems like it wouldn't work. And that also isn't working for me currently. I'm starting to think I messed all of this. I may try a few things, and see what works.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ds501st

So, I got the bypass working, and the effect works. I have the keeley mod on the pedal, but there is no variable in the effect now. There is only the one effect, when the switch is engaged.

So, getting the effect to work has now cancelled out my previous mod, apparently.

ds501st

Could the reason I'm having be caused by my jumpering the check LED diode, and adding a 10K resistor to R35?

Either way, I'm going to change it back and see if it works.

Thanks in advance.

Kennt82

Quote from: ds501st on April 17, 2016, 03:36:27 PM
This is the thread I'm following.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=61035.0

Am I missing something?

I used the same instructions to convert this modded DS-1 to true bypass:

"Q6: Remove and put jumper across S & D. (The outside pads.)
Q7: ditto
Q8: Remove."