Plug wrong holes in enclosures

Started by feddozz, March 28, 2016, 02:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feddozz

I am sure it has been discussed but I can't find it.
I have seen some holes in enclosures being filled with some sort of potty because they turned out to be wrong. Could you please point to as product to do this?
Preferably European products please.
Thanks
And "dog balls on your face"...

deadastronaut

potty... :D

try car filler...

or fill the hole with an led and bezel... 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

feddozz

yeah the potty did not fit...I'll try with the bath tub next. :icon_lol:

thanks
And "dog balls on your face"...

Cozybuilder

JB Weld- super strong, machinable, probably stronger than the aluminum box. You can also mount standoffs in the box with it.

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

PRR

"Putty".

Auto body repair filler can work, but it comes in several types, and some won't stand-up in a hole (they are to skim-coat sheet metal).

(Cozybuilder types faster than me...) In the USA, "JB Weld" is a 2-part filled epoxy which is very strong. $6 a pack. Using this, keep the paper plate you mixed it on. After 30 min to 2 hours (depending on mix and temperature) the stuff gets stiff but not as hard as it will get in a day. At this stage you can file/rasp the excess.

I would strongly advise cutting a piece of tin can twice the size of the hole as a back-up.
  • SUPPORTER

lars-musik

karbomusic

duck_arse

I've filled holes, usually with a slug of aluminium to fill the void, and Araldite to bogg it up.
don't make me draw another line.

mcknib

Vince I use this easy to get in car spares places for around £6 even at Halfords it's only £5.49 no mixing as such just cut a chunk off knead it in your fingers with provided gloves and stick it in the hole, sand it and Bob's yer uncle it's rock solid.

I used it when I didn't need to on one of Rob's Tremshifter's I thought the holes were squint filled them in re-drilled and thought them holes are still squint...turns out it was my eye...kidding! I'd put the label on...squint...but at least I found out it's good stuff and easy to use...so all the discarded boxes are out and ready to fill once I check the labels not squint and sand off the sh&* squint etching.

Kipper4

Quote from: mcknib on March 29, 2016, 02:11:18 PM
I use this easy to get in car spares places for around £6 even at Halfords it's only £5.49 no mixing as such just cut a chunk off knead it in your fingers with provided gloves and stick it in the hole, sand it and Bob's yer uncle it's rock solid.

You might like to rephrase that Billy.
Reminds me of a song by the village band.

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

mcknib

Sh*t it's Uncle Bob I can tell he's got that family squint wait till I tell my auntie Flo his sister and wife he's been found cheers Rich

He used to play with Squintcy Jones you know back in the day

Sorry! I had to

stallik

My problem with any of these products is that I use them once and IF I can find them when I want them again, it's been so long that they're rock solid, split or otherwise rendered useless. Either that or my grandson has used it all to fix the latest broken toy - a practice I won't stop in these days of discardability.
Cost wise, a new enclosure is almost cheaper and the finishing's easier. The discarded enclosure is then placed ready for the same grandson to turn into Swiss cheese. He's found my low speed electric hand drill ;)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

mcknib

Aye you're right Kevin this stuff comes in a plastic screw lid container not solid plastic but it seals up nice I've just checked it and it's still soft and pliable after 4 months under my sink I've not got any little ones running around so I can keep dangerous stuff there like acid, my flares, tank tops, my mothers recipes and old school photos etc

stallik

Flares and tank tops eh? Now I'm just wondering what kind of acid...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

karbomusic

FYI if it isn't solid you can get JB Weld back into a useable state by mixing with a little acetone. That's in the instructions for JB Weld btw which was a nice surprise.

mcknib

Quote from: stallik on March 29, 2016, 07:16:38 PM
Flares and tank tops eh? Now I'm just wondering what kind of acid...

The type you're thinking.........man! wrapped in my kaftan right next to my tambourine........hop on the bus Gus!

Cozybuilder

Another nice thing about the slow curing epoxies (like JB Weld)- if you mix too much, you can put the excess in the freezer for a bit, a few hours or so, until you can find something else to slop it on. Really handy if gluing standoffs in place- dab a little on the bottom of each standoff (screwed to the card), position the card in the box, pop it in your hot box for a couple of hours (insulated box with an incandescent light for a heat source, us hillbillies like old appliances with doors), remove the screws, and dab more epoxy around the standoffs for a solid bond.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

deadastronaut

ooh i forgot.....

chemical metal.   (likey to to be uk version of jb weld)

but yeah, cheaper , better to just use a new box...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

duck_arse

... I was gonna let this go, but a song came on the radio - by Sir Douglas Squintet.
don't make me draw another line.

PRR

> chemical metal.   (likey to to be uk version of jb weld)

"Chemical metal" seems to be several different brands, and may be polyester.

JB Weld is epoxy.

Both polyester and epoxy are used in fiberglass such as surfboard. Polyester for economy, epoxy for strength.

Plastic Padding Chemical Metal looks just like 2-part polyester auto body filler and seems to be 1/10th the price per volume of JB Weld, with lower max temperature (not that we care).

"Filled epoxy" (and polyester) is a thing and sometimes a good thing. You can throw huge handfuls of metal powder in pure epoxy and it gets stronger and more heat resistance (again, we don't care).

JB Weld was originally a one-guy operation way out in the fields of Sulphur Springs, Texas, USA. For years he drove around the USA giving out Coke bottles with golf-balls stuck to them for hardware store counter display. Or was that the 2-part putty company? Whichever, these "impossible glue jobs" lasted for many years, some totally grimed-up from people trying to break the bond. JB is ubiquitous in the US. Their site claims the stuff is available "around the world", but their retailer-list seems to be totally North America.
  • SUPPORTER