Superfly special layout required

Started by 347sixtyseven, March 30, 2016, 04:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

347sixtyseven

Does anyone have a verified Superfly special layout with volume, tone and gain included that they are willing to share with me please?

Regards

Gary

vigilante397

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

347sixtyseven

Thank you very much for your reply Vigilante.

However, i am chasing an actual layout as i am having trouble determining how to take the tone and gain from the schematic and implement them on a layout.

i understand that Rick assembles the tone stack on the pot but i still cannot confidently determine where to connect the stack by reading the schematic.

vigilante397

Quote from: 347sixtyseven on March 30, 2016, 05:22:22 PM
Thank you very much for your reply Vigilante.

However, i am chasing an actual layout as i am having trouble determining how to take the tone and gain from the schematic and implement them on a layout.

i understand that Rick assembles the tone stack on the pot but i still cannot confidently determine where to connect the stack by reading the schematic.

Well maybe I can help there. What layout are you using right now?
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

347sixtyseven

I am planning on using this layout of Ricks as i understand it is the latest version.

My problem is, each time i try to follow the schematic, to work out how/where to connect the tone stack and volume and gain controls i get confused. I end up thinking that the schematic and layout vary regarding some tube connections but i know that i am wrong. It just keeps doing my head in.

vigilante397

Quote from: 347sixtyseven on March 30, 2016, 07:48:09 PM
My problem is, each time i try to follow the schematic, to work out how/where to connect the tone stack and volume and gain controls i get confused. I end up thinking that the schematic and layout vary regarding some tube connections but i know that i am wrong. It just keeps doing my head in.

It looks like the layout you posted switches the triode stages of the 6112, but I think I can get it figured out. Let me throw something together real quick.

EDIT: I'd forgotten how cumbersome DIYLC can be when I'm used to DipTrace :P But this should do it. Remove R16, C8, and R4. C7 and C2 should both be 22nf, and should connect from the board to the offboard pots like so:

Hope this helps! ;D
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

PRR

Wrong, retracted.
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

*Empty placeholder comment*
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

347sixtyseven

Sorry its a bit ugly, ms paint will do that lol.

How does this look?

I also took the opportunity to include Perrows standby switch mod and to include Ricks Bias switch mod.

vigilante397

A quick google search didn't turn up anything for the bias or standby mods, but the pots look good.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

347sixtyseven

The standby mod was mentioned in the original superfly thread

Quote from: frequencycentral on June 13, 2011, 04:50:36 PM
Quote from: Perrow on June 13, 2011, 04:40:32 PM
I do have a standby switch mod. Short the connection between the collector and emitter of the transistor, the 555 stops, and you get a B+ of 12V. Let the tubes heat up, break the connection and the 555 starts and you'll get your regular B+.

Neat! I like it a lot!

And the bias switch was mentioned in the same thread i believe but i found the details on a superfly pcb layout

vigilante397

In that case it looks like your layout should be good to go now. I'm not sure what two settings you would switch between on the bias switch, but you could also just put a trimpot in there between the 6112's cathode (pin 4) and ground for biasing. ;D
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

347sixtyseven

Thank you very much for your advice Vigilante

thermionix

I've never seen a push-pull output arrangement like that.  I'm digging the simplicity.  The 2nd 6111 triode is fed signal via its cathode?  How balanced does this end up being?  Curious.

vigilante397

I haven't tried the submini version, but it's based on the now moderately famous Firefly, which does the same thing using a 12AU7 for the output tube, and it does rather well. Great sounding relatively cheap and easy low wattage build.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

thermionix

I'm so out of the loop, I've never heard of 80% of the pedals discussed on this forum.  Also not familiar with 6111 or 6112 tubes.  In the schematic above, the power supply isn't illustrated.  Is there no decoupling between preamp and output stages?

PRR

> no decoupling between preamp and output stages?

In theory it "does not need it". V1 and V2 cancel each other, and V3 V4 cancel.

In practice it won't be stable with a lame supply. I don't know what was proposed. I do think that modern large-uFd caps may be ample with this low current.

6111 is a 12AU7 in a smaller bottle; 6112 is a small 12AT7. This series is designed for extreme shock, but is not thrifty. People think they can build smaller with these tubes, but when you include all the other parts the advantage is slim, especially with the high glass temperature of a 12AU7 in half the glass.
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

Roger that.  I didn't notice the 22K earlier, which must help a bit also.  If it was me, though, I'd still throw another filter cap in there.

347sixtyseven

Is R1 biasing the 7327?

Would a 430R work in place of the 440R?

vigilante397

Quote from: 347sixtyseven on April 26, 2016, 05:46:21 AM
Would a 430R work in place of the 440R?

That's well within a 10% tolerance, as a general rule that should be fine.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com