Off topic: Portable HiFi 13w Amp (TDA8511J)

Started by stonerbox, March 30, 2016, 02:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonerbox

Salvaged some small speakers (4ohm, 15w ) and two TDA8511J power amplifiers and set out to build me my first portable amp for a upcoming week long trip to the northern parts of Sweden. I found this schematic but I'm not totally sure if it is as easy as the it implies? Thoughts? Also, I will probably just be using one or two speakers so how do I go about with the not connected outputs? In similar fashion as to a usual op amp??

I know that this is far away from stompbox related things but please don't slaughter me!  ;D  :icon_twisted:

Datasheet: http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/TDA8511J_N.pdf
http://audioamplifiercircuit.blogspot.se/2014/08/4-x-13-w-single-ended-power-amplifiers.html
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

Transmogrifox

Yes, it is that simple.

Just leave the unused pins not-connected.  As you can see it's internally tied to V/2 bias on the input so everything is happy if you leave inputs and outputs as "NC".

You can get a little more headroom if you use an op amp inverting amplifier to drive inputs 1 and 2 (pins 1,3) out of phase and connect the speaker between outputs 1 and 2 (pins 6,8).

In that configuration you can get rid of the output capacitors if those amps don't have much DC offset -- they should be very nearly identical to within probably less than 100 mV, which won't damage your speaker.

If you did that actually would be better to drive inputs 1 and 4 out of phase to give physical (thermal) separation between the 2 amps.  That just gives you a little more power/headroom with lower thermal limitations.  Basically you're spreading the heat between 2 channels instead of 1.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

stonerbox

That is great news, thanks Transmogrifox!
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

stonerbox

Hm..? I am getting a tone/squeal when I turn it on (but also music).

1 1.96
2 0
3 2.8
4 5.8
5 12
6 5.7
7 0
8 5.7
9 0
10 5-7
11 0
12 5.7
13 12
14 10.99
15 2.1
16 12
17 2.1

Missed the 100uF from pin 4 to ground. Added it and now everything is working as it should.