Aion Refractor Pedal led doesn't come on when pedal is active.

Started by Stevehapner2, April 06, 2016, 08:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevehapner2

So I just finished my first pedal build. An Aion refractor. The pedal sounds great, but the led wont come on. I used the led resistor value in the build sheet first, then replaced it with a 470R. The pedal seems to sound the same, but still no light from the led. I thought I might have had the anode and cathode confused when I first soldered it to the pcb, but the time I reversed how I had the leads, the pedal would give no output when active, but pass the signal when off. Switched back to how I had it originally, and it works fine except for the led.

Steve

antonis

Probably you've made wrong wiring connections on 3PDT (??) switch..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Stevehapner2

I'm using the refractor bypass for the switch.
Yes it is 3pdt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aion

Can you post a picture of the inside of the enclosure? (PCB + wiring)

Stevehapner2

Here is the inside.

jez79

The LED on/off gnd trace may go around the outside of the board
I nicked an outer trace once, prying out board with screwdriver. Had to jumper the sever
Check the trace along the outside edge, and the soldering around the LED... Looks like frayed wire touching something, hard to tell

aion

Yep, I would look around the LED - the soldering is a little rough up there so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a short someplace. That's the first place I would look. Resolder each of the pads up there to start with, and also make sure the +9V wire isn't touching one of the legs of the LED on the bottom side of the board.

It's gotta be something simple - the LED is about the most basic connection on the board, so if it doesn't work then it means it's either not getting power or not being properly grounded.

Stevehapner2

Thanks for the replies. jez79 hit the nail on  the head. I didn't use any screwdrivers, but somehow managed to nick the trace for the led ground. The soldering isn't as bad as it may look, I've had 4 different leds soldered to that spot, and the power wire isn't frayed, just a little burn by the led cathode.
I will see if I can fix the trace with a little solder. If not, I know where to run the jumper so it works.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevehapner2

Got it working!!!!
I'm pretty excited. The first couple things I tried didn't work. I didn't even attempt to fix the trace on the pcb. I may have damaged the pads for the led, because nothing i did would cause an led soldered to the pcb to work. I ended up folding the pcb led over, and removing the 2.3 jumper between the pcb and the refractor bypass. Then I took +9v to a new led anode, and ran the cathode to the bottom right pole on the 3pdt switch and viola!!! Success!!!

Stevehapner2

Yes I did use a resistor in the led circuit. I forgot to mention it in the last post, but it is there.