Line 6 DL4 Issue (WILL NOT STAY ON)

Started by Kevin Mitchell, April 11, 2016, 01:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Mitchell

I've been a member here for about two years now and I've seen quite a few topics on trouble with the DL4. I figured instead of messing with things I have no business touching, I'll start with guidance from you guys.

I've had this thing for a few years now and it wasn't until late last year a problem started to peak. At the time I had to put the DL4 off the pedal board and power it via batteries. If I recall correctly the new batteries were dead a couple days later with minimum if any use of the pedal. That was my first concern...

Then I put in back onto the pedal power supply (giving it the proper voltage) and this is what would happen; when engaging a preset it would click on and then click off maybe a second later. After a couple days with no power to it at all I plugged it back in and it was back to normal...

This weekend I had a jam date and while showing off my pedal board go figure, the DL4 started to have this issue again. But toying with it I could get the preset on switch A to work (for some time) before it would click off again (next morning with no power all night switch A didn't stay on for a second just as preset B and C has and continues to do.

I don't believe this is a physical switching problem (a common DL4 issue?)  I've checked the power supply and the caps last time I had this issue and didn't notice anything unusual. Perhaps I just didn't know what to look for.

Anyone experience and debug this issue? I really like this pedal but sadly have been considering selling it (I'm an analog junkie now). I wouldn't want to burden any buyers (close friends probably) with this problem...

What to do, what to do... That's all the info I have now. I'll put up a video if any of this seems unclear. Unless it temporarily fixed itself again...

Thanks gang.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

induction

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on April 11, 2016, 01:19:43 PM
I put in back onto the pedal power supply (giving it the proper voltage)

Did you use a Line6 voltage supply specified for use with the DL4? What are the voltage and current ratings of the PSU that you used?

I'm no expert in this pedal (at all), but I understand it is very current-hungry. I also have read that it expects 9VAC and consumes something like 1200 mA.

So the first thing we need to know is exactly what the ratings are of whatever power supply you used: Voltage, AC or DC, current capability.

Edit: Also note this quote from the Line 6 Power Supply and Amp Power F.A.Q. (via this archived support thread)
Quote... will also work under DC (Direct Current) at 12V, 500 mA minimum. The center pin is positive (yes, center pin is positive as opposed to the DC-1 power supply).

Kevin Mitchell

I've been using the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power recommendation for the unit.

If I recall correctly it was like "12 volts unregulated" or something like that. In power adapter 5 or 6 with the "normal" switch down (so off) which makes it ~12 volts unregulated IF I RECALL CORRECTLY. Again, this is in the Pedal Power Manual.

Also I've mentioned this issue perhaps started while powered with batteries.

Here's a quote from the manual on what the DL4 is said to be getting with my settings;
"14.5V / 12V (unregulated) 50mA / 200mA+"
  • SUPPORTER

induction

You said the batteries died in a few days. Did you leave the input cable plugged in when you weren't using it? 20 to 30 hours doesn't go very far, so if the batteries died in a few days, I would consider that a different problem (or even expected behavior if you didn't unplug the input) than turning itself off after a few seconds with a power adapter.

From your PP2 manual, it seems that your DL4 is not getting enough current. You may need a PSU with more current capability.

What about the barrel polarity? Did you use a center positive?

Kevin Mitchell

Yes the Pedal Power came with one cable for the cause (rev. polarity).

I don't understand if the power is an issue why did it work for a couple years with no problem?

This is why I think a part went bad though as I said it seems to temporarily remedy itself.

Regarding the batteries, yeah I probably left the instrument cables hooked up so that explains the battery drain - though I think this is when the problem started. Or it started before I put batteries in thinking that would help. Which it may have temporarily.

I can't recall every detail of the problems from last year and how they started. But it seems they come and go.
  • SUPPORTER

induction

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on April 11, 2016, 02:38:10 PM
I don't understand if the power is an issue why did it work for a couple years with no problem?

I missed that part. Sorry.

Anyway, I suggest trying it again with batteries, if just to get a little more information. If it works ok with batteries then I'd consider trying to find or borrow a psu that's rated for the current capacity that the DL4 manual claims it needs. Maybe it solves the problem, or again maybe it just gives you more info.

Are you certain it's the DL4 turning itself off, rather than the PP2 shutting down to protect itself in the face of too high current demand?

Beyond that, I'm out of ideas. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: induction on April 11, 2016, 03:04:38 PM
Are you certain it's the DL4 turning itself off, rather than the PP2 shutting down to protect itself in the face of too high current demand?

This is something I have not considered! I'll check it out for sure. Again, I can't understand why it works with no issue for a while. Perhaps it has to do with too many pedals on the PP2 and then that's when current consumption becomes a problem and it resets the problem area (Pedal Power adapter 5 or 6 for the Line 6) which makes the DL4 shut off

This could very well be true. I haven't had a problem with it for a while until last weekend when I loaded up my pedal board. This also could apply to last year's scenario but I can't recall.

I'll take it off the pedal board tonight and see if it runs fine being the only pedal on the PP2. If it does, I'm going to be P.O.  :icon_evil:  The PP2 claims to be able to power these type of Line 6 pedals. If it can't handle the current consumption while others are plugged in also (having 6 9volt pedals plugged in as well) - they should probably make a note of it. Then again... Line 6 and others must be making $ "fixing" units.

Thanks again, induction! I'll be back in a few hours.
  • SUPPORTER

Kevin Mitchell

Okay, it seems to be working with everything on...

My guess would be the problem is insufficient current to the Pedal Power. I'm not sure what the specs or situation with the cords running in the jam room were but I'll be sure it's not crowded with other things on the wall plug next time.

I'll keep everything on tonight and see if it happens again. When the problem occurred the DL4 was running for a little while with no issue. Maybe an hour.
  • SUPPORTER