Volume mod for DOD 440 Envelope Filter Reissue?

Started by kayf, April 13, 2016, 07:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kayf

Hi,
I really like the new DOD 440 Envelope Filter but the perceived volume when engaged is louder than unity gain and enough to make me try to hold back, and that's difficult to deal with. And if I turn down the volume on the guitar I lose the ability to trigger it properly. Other than that I love the pedal. I've tried most everything in the same size, and they didn't do it for me. The Neutrino, Snow White etc. all fell short so I got the 440 for less than $100 so I'm not worried about altering it to get it perfect.

Is there a relatively easy fix for this just to tame it a bit?

Thanks for any help.

Mark Hammer

I gather there is going to be some sort of terminating resistor on the output to prevent switch-popping.  You'll want to split that resistance into two parts, and take your output from their junction.

So, let's say the terminating resistor is 100k.  You might consider replacing that with 10k and 91k, or perhaps 18k and 82k.  The smaller resistance is connected to the output cap, and the larger resistance goes to ground.  The "splitting" of the resistance into a smaller and larger value mimics a volume pot with the wiper turned down a bit from max, except the attenuation is fixed.

Make sense?