How would I wire a DPDT ON ON toggle switch for clipping or bass countour mods

Started by Belanger, April 14, 2016, 04:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belanger

Hey newbie here and I can't find any info on how I would use a DPDT ON ON switch for clipping options and or another one with different capacitor values for bass

It will be modifying a tube screamer and a few other pedals I have. The only info I've been able to find is ON OFF ON DPDT which is really easy to use.  I've ordered some but I'd like to be able to use these switches I already have So they don't go to waste lol

Thanks for the help
The best substitute for intelligence is silence

blackieNYC

For capacitor changes in a filter, a great method can be found in Mark Hammer's Forty Niner, which I think you can find at the Gus Markov site.
An on-off-on switch can give you three different capacitances. Off-only your smallest cap is in circuit. On 1- another cap is added to the first, more capacitance in parallel. On 2- a different cap is added in parallel to the first. Yet another pair of caps in parallel. This is often done at the input series cap.  At the input of the circuit is usually best, but it could also change a cap value on an output tonestack.
If you want to use your on-on switches, you get two cAps to choose from - the extra bass cap and the less bass cap.
Diodes are easier. (You could even use a  SPST) Make a reversed parallel pair.  Attach one end to the circuit - the feedback loop, or clippers to ground. Either way, one end of the pair is loose. Attach this to the switch's center. Attach one of the switches outer contacts to that point in the circuit you wish to connect the diodes. (This would be ground for the clippers, for ex.)  Having one end of the diodes always attached to the circuit and one end loose is not problematic.
If you want to get fancy, the other outer contact of the on-on switch can be used to attach a trimpot to the same spot that the diodes can switch to.  With this trimpot, you can adjust your "clean" sound's level to the clipped level.  The clipper of course reduce that voltage a lot, making the clean sound (I.E.,when the clippers are removed), with its unclipped voltage, much louder.
A little abstract. I have no artwork for you. But you'll find these. Walk thru the DIYSB schematics, or Madbean, or see the various clipping and "warp" circuits at AMZ. When confused, think of the switch's center pin as a Decider - this point in the circuit is going to look at this, or that.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Belanger

Thank you so much I really appreciate that. I'll be ordering DPDT ON OFF ON toggle switches for anything to do with bass and perhaps just use SPDT ON OFF ON toggle for diodes. I suppose 2 clipping options is enough so I could buy just the on on versions for clipping options.   That information really helped me a lot and atleast now I know I'm ok to use these ones up and I didn't make yet another newbie error lol
The best substitute for intelligence is silence