Coil users thread

Started by petemoore, April 17, 2016, 06:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Any old [or new] effects [beside wah wah] using coils/inductors is welcome.
  I can understand why using coils just isn't done very much, what might be a circumstance that would hold advantages for small circuit effects.
  1 is the AMZ pickup simulator [labs notebook]...any others you can think of ?
  I now have a nice selection of signal coils [Hammond T 500 filters] and a winder.
  Each tapped coil has a capacitor.
  It would seem I might find an inductor/capacitor type crossover [I could use a good 2 way xover right about now], searches for inductor applications like this have come up in short supply.
  All suggestions welcome !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

mth5044

Me thinks the reason you don't see them much is they are big and expensive.

For other options, check out the midrange boost from the Thomas VOX amps

digi2t

The non-wah circuits I've seen to date using inductors, or transformers as inductors;

- Gemini Dual Fuzz Generator
- Honey Special Fuzz (2 of them)
- Wylie Moonrock
- Conn Multi-vider

The later I have on the bench, and it's ironic that you come up with this thread, because I'm presently trying to figure out the value of this particular inductor (it's toast  :icon_cry:). I'll be tracing out the Conn circuit soon, but the three others are already traced and available.

Vox Octavoice is another one too.

Oh yeah, my Ampeg G-212 also uses a multiple winding torodial inductor for the EQ as well.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

petemoore

- Gemini Dual Fuzz Generator
- Honey Special Fuzz (2 of them)
- Wylie Moonrock
- Conn Multi-vider
  Thanks, I'll check 'em out.
  I had a thought this morning about trying to adjust the core by using some magnet - vynil [cassette tape], winding on a spool [then physically bonding it to be more like solid, or just stuffing it into a container...I like the "spool of tape" core idea as a concept, if it would work, then the ability to remove [unwind] the vynil tape from the center of the spool would make for an adjustable inductor core.

Cozybuilder

Wyllie FuzzStone uses what looks like a strat single coil. It has a decent octave up.

What, no one mentioned Octavia?
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

BubbaFet

Supro's new 'DRIVE' pedal has a coil (transformer) tone shaper...
https://suprousa.com/drive/
What's your take on it Pete ? They've been pimping it lately.

petemoore

"output transformer" in a stompbox, would love to see gut shots and get details...
  The ad is worded to create interest, but doesn't really give us answers to questions..to transform would require secondary load.
  If there's a component loading the secondary, is it variable impedance or ohms?
  I don't want to spoil the secret, it would be interesting to know what is in the new fish.

petemoore

I've been repurposing more of these bridge T inductors than I'd like to without knowing much about them.
  Each split coil has a capacitor parallel it's long wire, the short and long wire ends appear after only a couple layers of removing the outer short winding, and they appear adjacent or crossing one another but not really even twisted together.
  Obviously when a winding is parallel to a capacitor [these cap/inductor modules are built on cores of E shapes that stack <,> to form a square 8 shape.
  I would like to know more about these filters that came from the T500 more through study [can't find videos, pictures, descriptions about them yet] instead of experimenting and re purposing the materials.