Dumb question re: battery on/off switches

Started by Snufkinoob, April 17, 2016, 10:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snufkinoob

In the past I've used a (edit: SPDT ::)) on/off toggle, but wouldn't a SPST on/on toggle do the same with one battery lead to an outer lug, and the central lug to the 9v point on the board? So in one position, you get power, then the other, the battery is disconnected and won't drain? I'm going to order some switches and wanted to double check. I can't think why this wouldn't work, but then why have on/off toggles if they're not doing anything unique? At least in context of a pedal run on 9v. I'm guessing they're more useful in an amp or high power device?

Ta!

Jamdog

I use the input socket for switching it on/off.   You just need to cut the contact,  what you describe should work.  But why the extra part?
-Jamdog

thermionix

Quote from: Snufkinoob on April 17, 2016, 10:11:43 PM
SPST on/on toggle

Does such a thing exist?

I'm sure you meant SPDT, and yes it would work the same.  Any latching switch can do SPST work.

Snufkinoob

Yes, SPDT.  ::)

I must have seen the on/off toggles referred to as "SPST" and got mixed up. I should stop posting in the early hours of the morning.

Quote from: Jamdog on April 17, 2016, 11:33:12 PM
I use the input socket for switching it on/off.   You just need to cut the contact,  what you describe should work.  But why the extra part?

I want to install an on/off switch on something that runs on battery only, and might be used between pedals on a compact board.

Jamdog

Quote from: Snufkinoob on April 18, 2016, 10:23:20 AM
Yes, SPDT.  ::)

I must have seen the on/off toggles referred to as "SPST" and got mixed up. I should stop posting in the early hours of the morning.

I want to install an on/off switch on something that runs on battery only, and might be used between pedals on a compact board.
Still,  you can use the pedal input 1/4 as switch,  why the extra part?
-Jamdog

potul

You can use an SPST on/off without problems for that.

The only reason I use SPDT is because the price difference isn't big, and I can use the SPDTs for more things... so I usually have one around.

Mat

R.G.

Here's a question: why go to the expense to put a battery and associated circuitry in?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

samhay

>Still,  you can use the pedal input 1/4 as switch,  why the extra part?

So you don't have to unplug it every time you finish playing, which can be a PITA if it is part of a tightly packed pedal board.

And +1 to RG's sentiments.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

Snufkinoob

Quote from: R.G. on April 18, 2016, 12:32:00 PM
Here's a question: why go to the expense to put a battery and associated circuitry in?

It's on a Germanium fuzz and I prefer to use a battery.

amptramp

Most people use an input jack that makes a connection when the signal plug is in and is open when the plug is out.  If you have another jack for an external supply, that is usually wired to disconnect the battery when the external wall wart is plugged in to the pedal.  A switch has the problem that the stompbox may get tossed onto the floor of the tour van and turn on accidentally.

Jdansti

Quote from: samhay on April 18, 2016, 12:49:35 PM
>Still,  you can use the pedal input 1/4 as switch,  why the extra part?

So you don't have to unplug it every time you finish playing, which can be a PITA if it is part of a tightly packed pedal board.

And +1 to RG's sentiments.

This is why I added a DC jack to my vintage Cry Baby.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Jdansti

Quote from: amptramp on April 18, 2016, 01:50:52 PM
Most people use an input jack that makes a connection when the signal plug is in and is open when the plug is out.  If you have another jack for an external supply, that is usually wired to disconnect the battery when the external wall wart is plugged in to the pedal.  A switch has the problem that the stompbox may get tossed onto the floor of the tour van and turn on accidentally.

...or you forget to flip the switch off when you finish playing and run the battery down.
  • SUPPORTER

tomer629

Quote from: Jdansti on April 18, 2016, 01:53:57 PM
Quote from: amptramp on April 18, 2016, 01:50:52 PM

...or you forget to flip the switch off when you finish playing and run the battery down.

Also very easy to leave the input jack plugged in. I've done what Snufkinoob is asking about on a pedal, and honestly wish all my pedals had on/off switches. Then I could just flip the switches instead of needing to unplug the input jacks on a handful of pedals. Dual Color LEDs would help with the forgetting to unplug/turn off pedals. A bright led is much more noticeable than a switch being flipped to on.

I hate having extra stuff to plug in so I don't build DC jacks into my pedals. Also I never have to diagnose bad power supplies to find noise.

Fndr8875

Some people have weird preferences, special circumstances, or just wanna do things a certain way. I think there are alot of threads filled with replies that are not of any use and just add to the mind numbing amount of information on this site. I wish people just wouldnt reply. What if he is building a Noisey Cricket amp and wants a power On/Off switch? Is that a stupid question then?  He didnt state the effect or application. Just wanted help with a power on off switch. He might not have a stereo jack on hand, but has a switch and money is tight..... any number of reasons. Just my two cents,

karbomusic

If you build a properly switched DC jack into the pedal, use an adapter but put a fresh battery in anyway. The battery becomes a backup/troubleshooting system. If there is ever a sudden issue, just unplug the DC adapter plug and the battery automatically kicks in because there are actually two battery switches (input jack and adapter jack). The guitar cable plugs almost always force enough room to be available to unplug the adapter cable.

Conversely, as long as the DC adapter plug is in, the battery is in a disconnected state so it will last a very long time, similar to the time it would last sitting on a shelf somewhere except you don't have to hunt it down and put it in. ;)

I have had an instance where the cord/adapter went bad at a live show, I just reached down and pulled the adapter connection to the pedal, battery kicked in, show went on, took <10 seconds.

karbomusic

Quote from: Fndr8875 on April 18, 2016, 06:29:55 PM
Some people have weird preferences, special circumstances, or just wanna do things a certain way.

Didn't see all the replies but, seems like finding out what they want and why, then discussing things they may have overlooked (especially since they are here asking for help) might be the better idea. :) Our skin shouldn't be so thin that we can't be bothered to receive feedback or delve into the question further - again, especially creating a thread with a help me type question - there is often more to the story.

Jamdog

Quote from: karbomusic on April 18, 2016, 09:04:16 PM
Some people have weird preferences, special circumstances, or just wanna do things a certain way.

Didn't see all the replies but, seems like finding out what they want and why, then discussing things they may have overlooked (especially since they are here asking for help) might be the better idea. :) Our skin shouldn't be so thin that we can't be bothered to receive feedback or delve into the question further - again, especially creating a thread with a help me type question - there is often more to the story.

Exactly my thoughts.  Plus,  I think the very first reply answered the main question in addition to ask about details that may have been overlooked:

You just need to cut the contact,  what you describe should work. 
-Jamdog

induction

What if he is building a Noisey Cricket amp and wants a power On/Off switch? Is that a stupid question then?

You have a habit of twisting people's questions and suggestions into insults. Nobody said it was a stupid question.

Snufkinoob

Quote from: induction on April 19, 2016, 09:40:43 AM
You have a habit of twisting people's questions and suggestions into insults. Nobody said it was a stupid question.

I found it was slightly implied though when I asked "can X switch be used for Y?" which is a simple yes or no question, and yet it gets slightly condescending replies and some asking "why are you doing this?" even after it's been explained. Those kinds of comments can easily be misread if they go off on tangents about why it might be "wrong" to do when it's not even a question of "am I doing this wrong?" This place can be like The Gear Page in that respect. Some replies are like white noise.  :icon_lol:

Although since I'm bumping this, nobody has chimed in with info on the difference between between an on/off toggle and an on/on toggle. Not essential but good to know. Anyway thanks for the informative replies, and for those worried about my pedals' well being. Let's hope that battery toggle doesn't fail any more than any other switch or pot is likely too.  :icon_wink:

Jdansti

Some people have weird preferences, special circumstances, or just wanna do things a certain way. I think there are alot of threads filled with replies that are not of any use and just add to the mind numbing amount of information on this site. I wish people just wouldnt reply. What if he is building a Noisey Cricket amp and wants a power On/Off switch? Is that a stupid question then?  He didnt state the effect or application. Just wanted help with a power on off switch. He might not have a stereo jack on hand, but has a switch and money is tight..... any number of reasons. Just my two cents,
Quote from: Snufkinoob on April 17, 2016, 10:11:43 PM
At least in context of a pedal run on 9v. I'm guessing they're more useful in an amp or high power device?

He was talking about a pedal and not an amp like the Noisy Cricket. I guess you just didn't see that bit of mind-numbing information in his original post.

As for wishing people wouldn't reply, this is a forum and people are going to reply. There are a lot of people on this forum who have a vast knowledge of electronics, so they're going to provide pros and cons. I didn't see one nasty inappropriate, or totally off base comment in this thread. It seems that some people need to stop being so sensitive about comments they don't agree with. I'm sure that someone will be so offended by this comment. It's not offensive, but if you want to be offended, then fine.
  • SUPPORTER