Dumb question re: battery on/off switches

Started by Snufkinoob, April 17, 2016, 10:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdansti

Quote from: Snufkinoob on April 19, 2016, 03:48:10 PM
Quote from: induction on April 19, 2016, 09:40:43 AM
You have a habit of twisting people's questions and suggestions into insults. Nobody said it was a stupid question.

I found it was slightly implied though when I asked "can X switch be used for Y?" which is a simple yes or no question, and yet it gets slightly condescending replies and some asking "why are you doing this?" even after it's been explained. Those kinds of comments can easily be misread if they go off on tangents about why it might be "wrong" to do when it's not even a question of "am I doing this wrong?" This place can be like The Gear Page in that respect. Some replies are like white noise.  :icon_lol:

Although since I'm bumping this, nobody has chimed in with info on the difference between between an on/off toggle and an on/on toggle. Not essential but good to know. Anyway thanks for the informative replies, and for those worried about my pedals' well being. Let's hope that battery toggle doesn't fail any more than any other switch or pot is likely too.  :icon_wink:

No one was being condescending. They're asking you a question. You'll have to get used to the way people talk on this forum or you'll be offended on every thread you post. People really are trying to help.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

induction

Although since I'm bumping this, nobody has chimed in with info on the difference between between an on/off toggle and an on/on toggle. Not essential but good to know.

Ah. I can see from your edit to your original post that you're still a bit confused about that.

Maybe this will help.

Poles: the number of individual circuits the circuit can control.
Throws: the number of possible connections for each circuit.

Single-throw means a regular on/off make-or-break switch (like a light switch). A connection is either made or not.

Double-throw means the common (center) lug can be connected either to the top lug or the bottom lug. If one of the lugs is not connected to anything, then the DT performs just like a ST.

PRR

The other key fact: more poles/throws costs more money. But the difference (in DIY economics) is often small or none. Especially in a 10-pack. And since a DPDT will replace all the lesser forms, it is often convenient to stock only DPDT and use only as much as you need.
  • SUPPORTER

Jamdog

Quote from: induction on April 19, 2016, 09:40:43 AM
You have a habit of twisting people's questions and suggestions into insults. Nobody said it was a stupid question.

I found it was slightly implied though when I asked "can X switch be used for Y?" which is a simple yes or no question, and yet it gets slightly condescending replies and some asking "why are you doing this?" even after it's been explained. Those kinds of comments can easily be misread if they go off on tangents about why it might be "wrong" to do when it's not even a question of "am I doing this wrong?" This place can be like The Gear Page in that respect. Some replies are like white noise.  :icon_lol:

Although since I'm bumping this, nobody has chimed in with info on the difference between between an on/off toggle and an on/on toggle. Not essential but good to know. Anyway thanks for the informative replies, and for those worried about my pedals' well being. Let's hope that battery toggle doesn't fail any more than any other switch or pot is likely too.  :icon_wink:
I think the very first responses stated that it would work.  The difference between on/on and on/off is the second "on"   if you leave it unplugged,  it's no longer another on and becomes an off and it's going to work as you implied. 

Now,  why is the title thread titled "dumb question"? 
-Jamdog

induction

Quote from: Jamdog on April 20, 2016, 07:14:33 AM
Now,  why is the title thread titled "dumb question"? 

True. I should have said, "Nobody said it was a stupid question, except for the OP."