Wampler Hot Wired v2

Started by kiklop15, April 20, 2016, 04:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiklop15

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has schematic for the pedal in title or has made one?

Thanks

wampcat1

More fun is designing your own!
left channel:
non-inverting opamp. bass boosts changes caps in the feedback.
variable low pass filter after this.
Experiment with clipping diodes.

right channel: TS style circuit with a clean blend.

KarenColumbo

• SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

MikeA

This should be pretty close to a Hot Wired V2 Side 2 (Distortion.)  Info taken from a V1, and V2 changes extrapolated.  Power section is mine, not original, but all you need from there is protected V+ and Vref. 

• SUPPORTER

antonis

Quote from: MikeA on January 07, 2022, 05:56:31 PM
Power section is mine,

Interesting enough.. :icon_wink:
(PTC thermistor, 500W transient voltage suppresor & ONLY 100μF reservoir capacitor brings me some welding huge toroidal transformer in mind..)

To be more serious:
Both PTC & TVS are overkill for such a low current circuit with already regulated supply..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

MikeA

Belt and suspenders, my friend!  I assume that a user will make their best effort to destroy a pedal.
  • SUPPORTER

MikeA

But to be more serious: Diode protects from reversed DC, a 1N5817 would suffice and drop a bit less voltage, a P-channel MOSFET drops even less but costs more.  TVS protects from forward over-voltage, the 10V model starts conducting around 11V and is fully on by 12.5V.    A 9.0V model is available that's full-on by 11V but it actually leaks a little at 9V.  TVS could have been unidirectional but a bidirectional one is the same price and can be installed either direction, easier for me.  In case of over-voltage, PTC limits fault current to 100 mA or so rather than allowing a full crowbar, since TVS was designed for a one-time large surge rather than the longer lower-voltage conduction that's more likely here if an 18V supply is plugged in by mistake for extended time.  I suppose all this would help if 9VAC or 18VAC was applied by mistake, although I haven't tested for that. And PTC + diode + EL cap make a decent lowpass filter, although the main goal is protection.
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

You could easily result into same degree of protection by replacing PTC, Schottky and TVS with a resistor and a Zener..
(Zener should also act as reverse polarity shunt diode..)

P.S.
Never said you design suffers from flaws.. :icon_wink:
(just considered it overkill..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

MikeA

Yep, overkill is my middle name.  ;)
  • SUPPORTER