katzenkönig

Started by LightSoundGeometry, April 21, 2016, 12:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GibsonGM

Quote from: edy_wheazel on April 24, 2016, 01:19:51 PM
Ok, hope this works. Here's the schematic, pcb and layout:

http://docdro.id/joL2PWr
''

Worked great, Edy, the PDF came thru fine!

But something is missing - the sound clips!  ;) 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

LightSoundGeometry

well, I cant do the perf, its beyond my current skill level ..I tried it twice and nothing. the second time I got 1.2 volts on a tranny but she was dead. I put like 8 or more hours in on those builds so I will come back to perf later on ..I probably do not have the right tools/tips/gun for such precision work ..blame it on the tools !

although rather large, my strip board layout works .

I ordered 1 unit of one sided copper clad from tayda and will give a shot at etching. what other materials will I need for etching? though I would ask before I go to YouTube tutorials

im going to try bens method on perf to

Ben Lyman

Here's some pics for inspiration/ideas/whatever

"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: Ben Lyman on April 24, 2016, 10:11:32 PM
Here's some pics for inspiration/ideas/whatever

nice! ty ! I think small bear shows some perf work as well..I need to employ your method with the part legs llike that,

Ben Lyman

cool. if I can do this, anyone can!
Once the parts are all laid in, the solder goes fast.

I follow my handy printout and leave the ends bare wherever a wire will come in. If any of the components legs try to jump up, I pin them down with any kind of clip I can grab.

Extending my ground path with a spare trimming
                                                                          -S. Vai

edy_wheazel

Quote from: GibsonGM on April 24, 2016, 01:29:29 PM

Well, I never boxed it. To be onest, until this thread i forgot about it. It works fine though.

GibsonGM

Quote from: edy_wheazel on April 26, 2016, 02:44:17 AM
Quote from: GibsonGM on April 24, 2016, 01:29:29 PM

Well, I never boxed it. To be onest, until this thread i forgot about it. It works fine though.

I was kidding you, altho sound clips are always welcome :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

LightSoundGeometry

3 hours and 45 mins into it ..have to stop for the night ..my neck and shoulder straining me

Using a 180nF as I do not have a 150 on hand ..10nf out of place i see

thermionix

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on April 26, 2016, 10:40:57 PM

The yellow-banded diodes (clipping I assume)...what type are those?

LightSoundGeometry

1n914's , yeop they are coming off of Q3's collector to ground..you could mod it right there and make an asymmetrical/symmetrical or SI/GE on a dpdt I betcha or some LEDS

I have a video coming ..uploading now but I dont have the volume pot on the output yet which is an A100

in the video its running 9vdc - I have all 50 volts caps in her so she can go 18 - makes a lot of noise it sounds like ..

I randomly placed the 2n3904's so I may need to experiment  but they measured: 299, 366, 329 and 306 Hfe on a cheap tester
Diodes had a .594 drop across them on the VC99

Q1 - 16.1 volts
Q2 - 1.81 volts
Q3 - 9.69 volts
Q4 - Vcc @ 17.99

antonis

The pad at point 13 Horizontally - 6 Verticaly (soldering side) is quite risky ... :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

Well, that does sound pretty nice :)    Good work! 

You use a volume pot?   Mine are always wide open so I don't put them in.     J/K, lol....altho I find distortions etc often DO sound better without the loading!

I'm such a hack that I usually just use the component legs to make the entire "trace" underside, and will sometimes use jumper wires on the top to 'leap over' things in the way.  Have to be careful that way, tho, or you can couple to things you don't want to. 

Clean build :)
  • SUPPORTER

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: antonis on April 27, 2016, 09:39:28 AM
The pad at point 13 Horizontally - 6 Verticaly (soldering side) is quite risky ... :icon_wink:

good eye, I forgot to touch that up . my legs were two short from either side had to meet in middle lol

thanks ben , your method works for me. searching for a new perf layout to do ..I am chilling on the 6111 murder one, cant get it to work and has me frustrated atm. need new build!

aww man, I need the underside ..its harder on me own ..trying a run off groove and its a lot harder !

Ben Lyman

looks great, sounds great! nice riffery too!  8)
                                                                          -S. Vai

thermionix

I've heard a couple sound clips now of this circuit, and I really like it.  Might have to be my next build.

zedsnotdead

Guys, I just built this on a PCB, but it's not working right. Only get splatty fuzz and the sound "shuts down" with the gain pot@100%.

Can someone give me some voltages @ 9V dc power supply? Im a bit lost here...

Thanks a lot!!

edy_wheazel

Not exactly a sample, but this is how it sounds (it's the pedal called "Raven").
Disclaimer: (:D) The video was not intended to be a sample for this pedal, and I'm not a guitar player. You can't see the "Filter" knob, it's at 8 o'clock (10%) and the "Gain" knob it's at 2 o'clock. The other pedal is a Triple Wreck.
Enjoy!

Plexi

Amazing ultra compressed fuzz.
I used 2n3904 Q1-2-3, and MPSA13 in Q4, a lot of output.
I'll try higher "Input" pot value for more clean input signal.
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

digitalzombie

Hey everyone. I decided to build this, put it on the breadboard and sounded great, but I wanted to mod it. Opted for diode options on a switch, a bias knob on Q3 which gives me great, usable gated sounds when the input is turned up, turned the filter controls around so it acts more like a traditional tone control, and replaced the output section with the JFET output of the IdiotBox Blower Box for MOAR VOLUME.

On the breadboard it sounds killer, so I modified the Tagboard layout to match my updated schematic, put it all together and something's definitely wrong. Even with the input and fuzz controls turned down the signal is very saturated. Turn them up and it's fizzy. The bias control gates the signal WAY more than on the breadboard, and not in a good way. And the worst yet, w/ the tone control turned up I get high-pitched squealing. I've used my DMM to check all along the underside of my vero board for solder bridges, and I spent the better part of my morning before work checking and comparing voltages - to which everything looks in order when you consider the voltage drop from the D3 present in the Tagboard layout. The only thing I can think of is there's something wrong with my layout that I'm not seeing. Would you guys mind taking a look?