calling all knob aficionados

Started by samhay, April 21, 2016, 08:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samhay

I'm looking for recomendations for knobs.
But wait.
Specifically, those that will fit on rotary switches with an (allegedly) 6.3 mm (1/4") plastic spindle like this:

Chicken heads will fit, as will some of the Davies (maybe cloned) knobs with plastic inserts. What else have you good people found to work?
I have one of these in a bass, which looks a bit fugly with chicken heads, so anybody found a tele(ish)-style knob that will fit these?

Thanks

Edit - The length isn't the problem - they get cut down like most other pots.
The problem is that the shaft has a diameter of 6.3 mm as opposed to 6.0 mm for 16 mm (and many other) pots. That extra 0.3mm is too much for almost all of the various pots in my collection, which must have an inner diameter of <6.3 mm.

I guess this is why you only see chicken head knobs on varitone switches in guitars - none of the usual suspects fit.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

robthequiet

Not to promote or advertise against forum policy but that store with the name like a large a prehistoric mammal has some 1/4-inch and 6.4(?)mm knobs w. set screws that are nice for not causing you to destroy the pot as with press-on knurled ones.

Edit -- sorry, didn't notice you're in UK. Not sure if the mammoth guys ship over there, maybe worth checking, though. GL!

I harvested some old knobs off of a Peavey amp that lay dying in the corner and luckily they fit some pots I used on a guitar mod. Maybe that's an avenue to explore.

samhay

Thanks - the amp route is a good idea.

Looks like Mammoth advertise all their knobs as having a 1/4" 6.4mm opening, so they should (well might) work. The Davies ones I have that just fit claim 6.3mm (that's also called 1/4" over here), but others that are claimed to be 6.3mm don't fit, so I guess there is quite a lot of tolerance in these 10th mm.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

maartendh

Plastic spindles? File them down to 6 mm, or sand them. You can even use a knife, scrape the surface down with a piece of glass or a scissors. It's only 0.3mm you have to take of, and the knob itself will conceal your work if you make small mistakes.

robthequiet

Quotejust fit claim 6.3mm (that's also called 1/4" over here), but others that are claimed to be 6.3mm don't fit, so I guess there is quite a lot of tolerance in these 10th mm.

And here I am just getting over the pounds, shillings, and pence broohaha --  :icon_rolleyes: