VTF MKII Fuzz

Started by Ben Lyman, April 22, 2016, 10:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lyman

My Vot The Fock fuzz has been reworked. You will notice right off the bat that it's almost exactly a TB MKII but it's NPN and has a few extras. Not a revolutionary design or anything but I... ahem... think I have... (ducks head and covers privates) maybe improved the TB MKII  ::)
This is an incredibly versatile and great sounding vintage tone fuzz, and pedal board friendly NPN with DC jack. 
All I did was start with cozybuilder's power plan, which I use exclusively for all my pedals now, 47k to the LED, 1N5817 and 47r in series, 100uF to ground.
Then I added the variable input cap from the Deluxe Bazz Fuss. Full CCW gets 10uF input cap like the Marshall Supafuzz (ok, 10.001uF if you wanna nitpick  ;) ) a slight nudge gets closer to the Vox/Solasound 5uF and any further goes into Rangemaster territory.
Lastly, the main thing that I feel makes it way better, or at least makes me way happier with it. A little treble bleed, 1k2 and a 56nF to be precise. For me, fuzzes have always had one use, full on fuzz, anything less sounded muddy and useless. I know there are plenty of people out there that crave that certain special something you get when backing down the gain knob on a FF or TB or BMP, etc. but not me. Maybe there are a few of you out there that wish you could get a good "low gain" rhythm sound from a fuzz pedal or a "low gain" bluesy lead sound.

"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

duck_arse

huh. I'd always thort the mkII was a fuzzface w/ input buffer. now I look your circuit, I see it's a fuzzface w/ a whack-load of gain in front. thanks for that, do I need to BB one now?
don't make me draw another line.

Ben Lyman

Quote from: duck_arse on April 23, 2016, 11:21:20 AM
huh. I'd always thort the mkII was a fuzzface w/ input buffer. now I look your circuit, I see it's a fuzzface w/ a whack-load of gain in front. thanks for that, do I need to BB one now?
Yes. Yes, you do.  ;D
If you haven't experienced the MKII on your breadboard, then go for it. Try Philip's stock PNP schematic from Fuzzcentral maybe just to see how it differs from a FF. I like it just as much as an FF but for different reasons, they are completely different sounding pedals to me. I have read many times here and there that a TB is just a FF w/extra gain transistor up front, and that you can remove that 1st stage and get a FF and vice/versa (make FF, add extra tranny and get MKII). I disagree with this, as I have tried both experiments on my BB, none of this worked but then again, what the heck do I know? Nothing really, that's what  :P
I have also heard people say what you thort to be the case, FF with buffer. Also probably not true? Not entirely false? I know nothing. So here's a question for some experts to help edjumacate us:
:icon_question: If you add that extra 1st gain stage transistor to a (FF) two transistor fuzz, is that 1st stage actually providing *some* amount of *extra buffering*?  :icon_question: or rather:
:icon_question: Does the MKII have *some* amount of *extra buffering* as compared to a FF because to the extra tranny up front?  :icon_question:
                                                                          -S. Vai

Ben Lyman

Here's a vid, the tone control is cool (to me anyway) but the treble bleed on the fuzz pot is what I think makes this pedal a little more useable at lower gain settings.
                                                                          -S. Vai