Can I replace a 3pdt footswitch with a on off toggle switch

Started by Belanger, April 24, 2016, 01:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belanger

So long as I'm willing to drop the LED this is possible with a on off toggle correct?  Also would i wire it the same?
The best substitute for intelligence is silence

karbomusic

You don't have to drop the LED if you use a 3PDT toggle. You don't have to drop the LED with a DPDT if you use something like a millennium bypass or similar. Otherwise, you could get by with a DPDT/No LED for a standard true bypass type circuit.

Ben Lyman

It performs the exact same function, so you can just wire it up the same if that's easiest for you.
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

Belanger

Thanks so much for the help guys.  Can anyone explain the millennium bypass to me. I keep hearing about it but I'm %100 ignorant to what it is and how it works to be honest   I do have some schematics for a daughter board version

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

duck_arse

when you say "on off toggle", what exactly do you mean? single throw? how many poles? etc?
don't make me draw another line.

Kennt82

I made this dual fuzz.  The switch in the middle is to change the effect order, but the two on/off ones are wired the same as a stomp.

Jdansti

Quote from: Kennt82 on April 26, 2016, 01:18:17 AM
I made this dual fuzz.  The switch in the middle is to change the effect order, but the two on/off ones are wired the same as a stomp.

Re: Can I replace a 3pdt footswitch with a on off toggle switch

We now have living proof that not only can it be done, but it can be done twice in the same pedal!  :D
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

duck_arse

Kennt - a question for you - when you say
Quotethe two on/off ones
what type of switches are they? how many poles, etc?
don't make me draw another line.

Kennt82

DPDT is fine if you don't need an LED.  3PDT will give you the extra row that you can hook up as you normally would. This is one way, with grounded input.  Even if you don't use an LED you may prefer that? Toggle or footswitch will be treated the same.

I also built a Fix'd Fuzz with DPDT toggles for each of the 4 stages and a regular stomp overall.

Belanger

Yah sorry I didn't even see the new posts until now. And yes dpdt is what I was referring to. Have to keep in mind you guys aren't mind readers and only have the info I provide. Which I do s pretty piss poor job of explaining you guys are amazing thanks for all the help on this one