EHX Freeze Kill Dry Mod?

Started by beedoola, April 24, 2016, 09:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beedoola

I wanted to know if it would be possible to add the ability to kill the dry signal of the Freeze so that audio is only sent to the output when you hit the switch to capture audio? I would like to make this footswitchable so that I can return the Freeze to the stock setting - always passing dry audio - whether the notes are captured, or not.

I used to have a EHX HOG, and I liked how you could turn off the dry signal on the Freeze/Gliss setting, so that you could capture notes without hearing the dry signal/notes first.

Is there a way to utilize the Effects loop mod to do what I want?

Thanks.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=101235.0

Thanks the Effects Loop mod thread.

slacker

Going by the information in the fx loop thread, if you take the signal from lugs 1 or 2 of the pot through a capacitor to the tip of a jack that would give you a wet output, so if you plugged into that instead of the main out that would give wet only.
If you want to add a dry kill so you can use the existing output jack you will have to trace through the circuit and find where the wet and dry are mixed, there will then probably be a way to kill the dry.

jab

Hi.
Finally I dit!
I have a perfect wet out without any dry signal on my freeze ehx!
Not a piece of cake to find how to do that.
The problem was that the pcb of my freeze pedal was different from what I've seen on the web.
Everybody was talking about R3 to have the wet signal but it didn't work for me!!!!
If you have the same pcb on your hex freeze pedal the wet signal point is on R35.
Check the pictures to do the same mod.
There is another problem, once you have the signal coming from R35 you have to add a cap and a resistor to stop a bd dc signal.
Defore I did that there was a low short click/pop sound when I was recording the signal from the  wet output coming from my mod on my looper.
I've added a cap and a resistor and now it's work like a charm!

Have a look on the pictures and you will now how to do that. really easy if you know how to solder.
Good luck and enjoy!
I hope it will help you.

AGUXTX

jab

Here all the images to understand the mod.

YouAre

Could you build a "De-mixer" pedal?

Take this concept:
http://www.runoffgroove.com/splitter-blend.html

Using the channels they indicate there, put the Freeze in the red channel, and either hardwire the green channel or jumper internally. Flip the phase of the red channel. Adjusting the 220K resistor at pin 6 of U2A (not the one in the feedback loop) up or down so that the inverted clean signal matches the output of the clean in the Freeze pedal.

Technically...this should cancel out the clean by adding the inverted version of the clean back to itself...maybe.

bartimaeus

Very cool to see that someone finally solved this!

By the way, is the volume of the wet output affected by the effect volume knob?

mekanslsk

Quote from: jab on February 26, 2020, 06:13:29 AM
Hi.
Finally I dit!
The problem was that the pcb of my freeze pedal was different from what I've seen on the web.
Everybody was talking about R3 to have the wet signal but it didn't work for me!!!!
If you have the same pcb on your hex freeze pedal the wet signal point is on R35.
There is another problem, once you have the signal coming from R35 you have to add a cap and a resistor to stop a bd dc signal.
Defore I did that there was a low short click/pop sound when I was recording the signal from the  wet output coming from my mod on my looper.

Have a look on the pictures and you will now how to do that. really easy if you know how to solder.
Good luck and enjoy!
I hope it will help you.

AGUXTX

Hello, thank you for sharing! So this mod uses just the original output jack? It sends the dry signal when the pedal is off and only the wet signal when the pedal is on? Is that correct?

That is exactly what I want to do.

Thank you!

bartimaeus

Quote from: mekanslsk on February 18, 2023, 10:14:40 PM
Quote from: jab on February 26, 2020, 06:13:29 AM
Hi.
Finally I dit!

Good luck and enjoy!
I hope it will help you.

AGUXTX

Hello, thank you for sharing! So this mod uses just the original output jack? It sends the dry signal when the pedal is off and only the wet signal when the pedal is on? Is that correct?

That is exactly what I want to do.

Thank you!

no, that mod simply isolates the effect output. so the dry signal will totally disappear if you wire it to the main jack.

if you really want dry kill when the effect is active, you should probably just grab a SuperEgo