Replacing jacks on Russian big muff

Started by Widows, April 25, 2016, 04:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Widows

hi folks. I recently had to change the jacks on my black russian big muff so bought some replacements from maplin and swapped the old ones out. Now when i switch the pedal on...no sound. Any ideas? Seemed like a pretty simple thing to do, perhaps not
Gibson SG > Dunlop Cry Baby > Sovtek Big Muff Pi (black) > Digitech Harmony Man > Matamp GT1 > Matamp 4x12 w/Celestion K100s

antonis

Hmmmm...

Let's start from pre-elementary mistakes..
(some people call them "obvious"..)

OLD               NEW
IN           -->  IN  ?
OUT        --> OUT  ?
GND        --> GND ?
IN stereo --> IN stereo  ?
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

cnspedalbuilder

Out of curiosity: Would these mods kill resale value of Muff? I'm not a collector/seller, but I have a gray '94 russian BM pi, and I pulled it from pedal board in favor of two new fuzz pedals that I built. I'm thinking of selling it to feed the habit ;) but the jack and DC mod could convince me to keep it if it will not kill value down the road.

Widows

They're the board mounted ones so they can only go in one way. I am of course making the assumption that all barrel jacks have the same pinout....
Gibson SG > Dunlop Cry Baby > Sovtek Big Muff Pi (black) > Digitech Harmony Man > Matamp GT1 > Matamp 4x12 w/Celestion K100s

cnspedalbuilder

@widows, do you get sound when pedal is bypassed or is it no sound regardless of whether pedal is on or off?

you probably have more experience than me, so sorry if this is obvious. When I've built pedal and no sound came on, I've encountered 2 problems that could relate to your situation:
1. Wiring problem: Either the in, out, or ground wires are not connected to their proper places on the jack or on PCB, or there is a cold solder joint on one of the connections that is causing it not to work. Latter could be diagnosed trhough continuity test on multimeter.
2. Board problem: I built a pedal and found that sound was out, but came back occasionally. Found out that the PCB was touching the enclosure, so the pedal shorted to ground when engaged. When I elevated the PCB it was fine. Perhaps when you installed the jacks the PCB might have moved?

Widows

Ello, sorry it's taken me so long to reply, hectic week.

I do get sound in bypass mode so the jacks must be alright  (?) Cos if they weren't then there'd be no sound at all, right?

I may have messed up thr earth on it somehow,but pretty sure it goes to the case as that's how it was when i opened it up.

Alternatively i could maybe have damaged a joint, either on the board or in the wiring.

Widows

Solved:

Turns out there was a loose wire coming off vol 2 to the footswitch which looked attached but clearly wasn't. Moving the board to see what was up pulled said wire and detatched it at both ends. There were also a few solder joints that needed reflowing. Works like a charm now. Cheers