"The Light Ring" - Just another way to show pedals status

Started by gtudoran, April 26, 2016, 09:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtudoran

I'm sure that this is not new, but i was thinking on a solution that can solve the following problem: status LEDs that are way too bright and will burn your eyes on a dark stage.
And i thought to replace the default white washer of the foot-switch with a custom one that is made out of Plexiglas or Poly-carbonate and painted with back paint on one side.
Adding one or two LEDs under the washer will make it glow in a more friendly way ... not too mention that it's looking quite cool,.
What do you think?!

Cozybuilder

Very cool, I can see using this in some tiny box builds where you don't have a lot of room to play with.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

dbp512

Damn, that looks nice. Reminds me of those anti-tamper buttons that have the LED ring built in. I made the mistake of buying 200 clear bright LED lights in various colors, so I just make do with larger resistors to dim it down a bit.
Dave's not here, man

On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio
- Hunter S. Thompson

Les Paul Lover

That sure looks really cool !!!!!

Did you machine them yourself? How hard wearing is the black paint?

I just keep thinking that paint will flake off / get scratched (that's always what happens to paint), could you get black plastic washers somewhere instead?

How do you fit The Led? Do you cut off part of thw washer to fit it?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

thehallofshields

Nice. The ultimate would be if you could integrate those with Circuit Boards for the 3PDT.

I'd be throwing $$$ at you. Gimme. Gimme.

LightSoundGeometry

creativity leads to breakout inventions and new ideas in the field

i like it

GGBB

Extremely creative!

I wonder how white washers without the black paint would look - would they let any light through?
  • SUPPORTER

PEPPER!

Nice solution!  If you find that the black paint is wearing or scratching you could probably get away with using a thin black washer on top of the clear acrylic one.  It might be interesting to stagger the sizes as well - you could try a clear washer that's 1mm larger than the black one so the ring is more pronounced.

gtudoran

And still don't understand why i don't get notifications for my posts ... but well...

@Cozybuilder - yes i will used them with 1550A type enclosures :D

@Les Paul Lover - yes, i do have access to a laser cutter and i can build them in various shapes :D

@thehallofshields - already working on a small ring pcb that will be integrated with the switch :D

@GGBB & PEPPER! the washer is not painted anymore, i've used another black washer over the transparent one (i didn't find the black paint, but i do think that looks even better this way and as you said it will scratch harder, but also scrathing would not be a problem as using solvent paint will embed the paint quite hard in the acrylic substrate)
Using the white washer ... it's like... MEHHHH ... really didn't like the result.