Advice on next build. Marshall-in-a-box

Started by feddozz, April 28, 2016, 09:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

feddozz

Hi all
Next build I would like to build a marshall in a box pedal. I have seen the ROG Thor/Thunderbird, Catalinbread DLS III, Brown sound in a box 2.

I have single coil pu. I would like to know your advice/opinions ont these. I am also interested in the cleans for these pedals for some Hendrix tones.

What about full gain?
What is more versatile?

Thanks in advance

Vince
And "dog balls on your face"...

Beo

I have the wampler Pinnacle and Plexidrive circuits on my computer I was thinking of trying one day, but never got around to it. Maybe check the wampler videos to see if it's what you are looking for.

287m

imho, for plexi-ish is ramble marvel drive 18V or guitarpcb plexiplus

thecakeguru

depends on what type of marshall tones your looking for. Wampler plexidrive is fantastic for the 18watt through jtm45 tones. Crunchbox, Dls, Cmatmods brownie all do the higher gain marshall tones very well. BB preamp is nice too if your looking for bluebreaker.

chuckd666

Yeah the Marvel Drive is rad, it sounds legit. 287m do you reckon running at 18V is better? I loved the sound, but I wanted a bit more room before it broke up.

LightSoundGeometry

I have a riot and a crunchbox built and like them a lot for the plexi type tones .

I tried a pinnacle several times from gfx to no avail but I am going to try a pef version. heard they sound good. i have been wanting to build a timmy for a long time as well

287m

Quote from: chuckd666 on April 28, 2016, 09:55:18 PM
Yeah the Marvel Drive is rad, it sounds legit. 287m do you reckon running at 18V is better? I loved the sound, but I wanted a bit more room before it broke up.
in my setup, yes!  :icon_mrgreen:
you can build daughter board for that if not sure :P

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on April 29, 2016, 02:43:29 AM
I have a riot and a crunchbox built and like them a lot for the plexi type tones .

I tried a pinnacle several times from gfx to no avail but I am going to try a pef version. heard they sound good. i have been wanting to build a timmy for a long time as well

yeah, crunchbox also good.

feddozz

Thank you all for the replies. I am reading wonders about the Marvel Drive. I'll listen to some demos tonight.

LightSoundGeometry

i would like to build me a sansamp ..any one have a working layout or schematic for a sansamp ?

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on April 29, 2016, 03:42:57 PM
i would like to build me a sansamp ..any one have a working layout or schematic for a sansamp ?

This what your looking for?

http://tonepad.com/project.asp?id=22

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on April 29, 2016, 03:52:26 PM
Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on April 29, 2016, 03:42:57 PM

This what your looking for?

http://tonepad.com/project.asp?id=22

that is ! and I like tonepad a lot. I have a Perf layout of deadasronauts bassman amp I just got my hands on, going to give that one a shot..its probably very similar I would imagine

might just do both :)

feddozz

The marvel drive sounds great. Could anyone tell me if it cleans up? It seems high gain from very low volumes.

Ben Lyman

I was checking out the Marvel Drive demos on youtube and I noticed this guy gets a clean sound out of it at :35 second in
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

feddozz

Thanks ben. I am really torn between the DLS and the Marvel drive.
Can anyone tell me the difference?

thermionix

Quote from: Ben Lyman on May 01, 2016, 03:14:59 AM

SURE, that sounds like a plexi!  :o

(Apparently it takes more than knobs.)

mth5044

Cleans and Hendrix tones eh? I've had great success with the Direct Drive with expanded tone stack.

morrissey007

Hi,  I've built both the riot and last week finished the DTS,  I was astonished at just how much it sounded like an overdriven Marshall,  and that through a fender blues junior (set on clean).  Wasn't overly impressed with the riot,  to 'flubby'  and farty ,  the DTS was tight.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

morrissey007

DLS I meant!  Dyac!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

idy

I like DLS mk III. 9 volts only. The SRPP means you don't need to match FETs with resistors. Myy newest build with J201s cleans up better than my 2n5457 version. Glassy clean to total OD. Presence control gives huge range of high freq adjustment. Really fun to mess with the way the Super Lead/ Super Bass switch works (add negative feedback to first stage, bigger source resistor bypass cap.)