Capacitor question

Started by Fndr8875, April 29, 2016, 03:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fndr8875

found these on ebay, there is a datasheet included. They seem to high quality, the brand is Kemet data sheet says MKT series. From everything ive researched it shows MKT is wima red capacitors. Everything looks right

Here is a link to data sheet

http://download.siliconexpert.com/pdfs/2012/7/21/23/53/5/295/kmt_/manual/f3301_r82.pdf

And link to ebay auction

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-pcs-0-1-uF-100V-Metallized-Polyester-Film-Capacitors-by-Kemet-/361530545801

Can get 100 of these for less than $7 bucks and have them in a week or less. Mouser i think would be like 25 bucks for 100 and thats not including shipping.

nearly 17000 feedback at %100 i feel confident they are as advertised. Im gonna go ahead and order these and few more things from him, but just wanted some feedback that im not missing anything. 5mm pitch, 100v idk what elese to look for. Just havent seen in white color before, mainly red or blue.

GGBB

Kemet is not Wima. MKT is a type of cap that many manufacturers produce. I've used plenty of Kemet caps including these very same ones and they are fine. Kemet is a major manufacturer as is Wima.
  • SUPPORTER

LightSoundGeometry

tube depot has 5% off 715 series orange dips

https://www.tubedepot.com/t/diy-central/capacitors

Fndr8875

hmmm, sure think ill go ahead and get the orange drops, 8 100nf will fit perfectly in a 1590b, and perfect voltage at 600v. oh and at 85 bucks per 100 cus i was looking to spend nearly what the manufactured pedal cost on capacitors only. Is there a spam button?

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: Fndr8875 on April 29, 2016, 07:13:00 PM
hmmm, sure think ill go ahead and get the orange drops, 8 100nf will fit perfectly in a 1590b, and perfect voltage at 600v. oh and at 85 bucks per 100 cus i was looking to spend nearly what the manufactured pedal cost on capacitors only. Is there a spam button?

spam? take a walk ...maybe you dont know how to use the capacitors

Phoenix

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on April 29, 2016, 07:15:56 PM
spam? take a walk
I think you'll find that many people don't put much weight into "mojo" parts, at least not when it comes to different brands of capacitors having different "tones". Sure, an electrolytic may have enough parasitics to be audibly different to a film cap in some circuits, or a ceramic cap may sound different as its capacitance varies with applied voltage or because it is slightly microphonic, but there is no measurable difference between different brands of film caps at audio frequencies that sound demonstrably different under double-blind tests, nor should there be according to the fundamentals of electronics theory. Of course, that's not the entire story, as we hear more with our brain than with our ears, so psychoacoustics plays a huge role in things like tone: if you spend a lot on capacitors that you "know" are better, then they WILL sound better to you.
So go ahead and spend money on expensive caps if they give you the warm and fuzzies, but I will rely on engineering, thank you very much.

...maybe you dont know how to use the capacitors
And that it just rude, frankly.

Fndr8875, Kemet are a good brand of capacitors, if they are the genuine article then it sounds like you've found a good deal.

Jdansti

Quote from: Phoenix on April 29, 2016, 09:08:32 PM
spam? take a walk
I think you'll find that many people don't put much weight into "mojo" parts, at least not when it comes to different brands of capacitors having different "tones". Sure, an electrolytic may have enough parasitics to be audibly different to a film cap in some circuits, or a ceramic cap may sound different as its capacitance varies with applied voltage or because it is slightly microphonic, but there is no measurable difference between different brands of film caps at audio frequencies that sound demonstrably different under double-blind tests, nor should there be according to the fundamentals of electronics theory. Of course, that's not the entire story, as we hear more with our brain than with our ears, so psychoacoustics plays a huge role in things like tone: if you spend a lot on capacitors that you "know" are better, then they WILL sound better to you.
So go ahead and spend money on expensive caps if they give you the warm and fuzzies, but I will rely on engineering, thank you very much.

...maybe you dont know how to use the capacitors
And that it just rude, frankly.

Phoenix: I agree with your take on mojo, but I don't blame LSG for telling Fndr to "take a walk" when Fndr accused him of spam. LSG was just giving his opinion and trying to help even if you don't agree with him. Fndr had to be snarky. Why is it that most everyone gets along just fine until Fndr gets bent out of shape? There's a definite trend.

Fndr: If you see spam, click on "Report to Moderator" to report it. In this case, I think you would be embarrassed by the moderator's response.

Hang in there LSG. Maybe he'll learn how to be civil.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Fndr8875

I didnt click report to moderator, simply because i saw his # of post. I use alot of 100nf capacitors, yes i am pretty new to this hobby but i spend a ton of time on these boards, looking at layouts etc... Cant remember seeing a build using massive 600volt orange drops, and spending in my specific example 10 times or actually more, im paying 6.98 with shipping for 100, yours at 85 cents apiece, without shipping would be 8.50$ per cap. Also im buying a pcb from rully wow for this build for a deep blue delay, but thinking about it i dont think ANY manufactured pcb would accomidate those. Now for my cap in my strat, guess what i got...Orange drops. Ill take a walk,,,towards reality.

Fndr8875

I( tend to get snarky because most of my post come with sacastic replies to my questions. Or online replies like his....If i were going to reply to a post such as mine and I was in his position i would have stated, what application are these for , and  yes these are quite large and a litte more expensive but IMHO they give such and such tone or feel or whatever. But if someone puts a one line link in my thread with a link to something that is no where close to the question im asking ill prob get snarky.

GGBB

How we read posts (what we infer about the poster's motive) is entirely up to us, as is how we respond. It's impossible to know intent from a few lines of text. Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. Give people the benefit of the doubt. My read of the cap suggestion was just a mojo fan's opinion - no harm meant by it at all, even if perhaps to you and others it was silly. You could have chosen to see it that way as well, or if not at least chosen to just ignore it. There isn't any excuse for getting snarky with anyone even if they are deserving - take the high road and walk away. But we've all put our foot in our mouths at some point. Just apologize when necessary (even when not - can't hurt), learn and move on.
  • SUPPORTER

LightSoundGeometry

my apologies,

I am sorry. i was trying not to spam by talking about capacitors in a cap thread instead of making my own new thread. I am not good socially, awkward in forums and a terrible speller/writer with poor grammar. I sincerely apologize for my comment,

LsG

Fndr8875

my bad to, i just saw it as a one liner here is a link, i fired off reply pretty quick. Yall are right, ive posted sev times about ignoring ppls negative comments. There is no right or wrong answer , i totally get the mojo thing and preferences, i wont use certain parts, methods based on really nothing other than i dont like how it looks or whatever. I have posted a few times that theres prob half this board wasted on arguments , insults whatever. Im still new so there are few areas i can provide solid advice, but i try to link good deals, or somethings i come across that i havent seen.

amptramp

Orange Drops are good capacitors.  A lot of us in the hobby of rebuilding vintage radios use them when we do a full recap of a radio i.e. every capacitor is replaced because the old wax paper capacitors tend to leak and create havoc with tube biasing.

One test you can make of a capacitor is dielectric absorption.  This test is done by charging up a capacitor, shorting its leads together for enough time to make sure of complete discharge then removing the short and measuring the voltage across the capacitor leads.  There may be a voltage due to realignment of the dielectric molecules so that you end up with an electret - the electrostatic parallel to a permanent magnet.  This results in hysteresis - a difference in voltage dependent on the voltage history.  I am not a big supporter of mojo parts but there are differences in capacitors.  Whether the differences are enough to matter in a stompbox is a matter of design parameters.  Polypropylene capacitors are the mojo parts now with mylar coming a close second and polystyrene working well (and being available in tight tolerances) but not having the temperature range of the others.  Horses for courses.