Eliminating pedal enclosures for home studio, ideas?

Started by BaronWilhelm, May 02, 2016, 08:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Transmogrifox

Quote from: mac on May 04, 2016, 01:57:23 AM
Zinc sheet and big scissors.
Cheap, and easy to cut, bend and drill.

Mac
I was thinking basically the same thing.  Something I have been planning to do is  a wood box and sheet metal strips, 1 FX per strip across the front.  Same basic idea as the modular synth rack, but just wood backing and meta strips fastened to the front with flat top wood screws, countersink drill sheet metal so it's all flush.

Very similar idea (sheet metal strip on wood box) for a bank of floor switches for remote wiring...although I was thinking of multiplexing them with a microcontroller so I only need 3 wires : power, ground, signal.

Decent plywood can be had cheap and zinc/aluminum...cheap.  A little more expensive but somewhat industrial "cool" would be diamond-plate stainless steel.  Also more road worthy if you decided to take it out of the studio.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

BaronWilhelm

blackieNYC, that's a great idea for a multiFX, but I think I'm set now on getting it off the floor.  I think I'm going to build a small wooden box to mount the Eurorack rails in (they aren't too expensive)  The zinc sheeting is a great suggestion too.  Once I have the rails, I'd love it if the non-electronics parts were available at the hardware store.  Hopefully it's thick enough to not feel flimsy, but thin enough to be easy to cut.

anotherjim

I've had similar thoughts. Initial idea is to use a large aluminium CD "flight case" as they seem fairly cheep, have at least some metal work (sides on some are not metal but faked to look like tooled aluminium). The right kind of case has a lid that will slide off when open as you don't need it in use. Then rivet some aluminium angle to the upper inside edges to support the modules. I wouldn't bother with power connectors, just have wires from the module pcb into screw terminal strips.

Processaurus

Geofex FX Rack!

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/FXRack/fxrack.pdf

This guy Mikey actually made one, looks like the picture links died, unfortunately, but you get the idea from the Geofex article.  It looked great.  Much better than all in one multi-effects, because it takes into account you'll probably keep building things and switching them around...

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=46469.0