Could you explain something to me here?

Started by KarenColumbo, March 28, 2018, 04:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarenColumbo

I breadboarded the in- and the output stage of this here and threw an active baxandall (with opamps) inbetween.

Result: HUGE gain, extremely clean. Very nice circuitry there.

My question: Is this 3906 contraption a constant current source? What does it do?
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

Rob Strand

There's a reasonable whack of gain in the first stage.

My question: Is this 3906 contraption a constant current source? What does it do?
It is working as a voltage amplifier. 

The JFET and 2N3906 form a discrete opamp.    Both are contributing to the *open-loop *gain.  The resistors from the output to the JFET source and then to ground form the feedback network of a non-inverting opamp configuration.

Here's a very common all BJT version:
https://www.electronics-notes.com/images/transistor-two-device-amplifier-circuit-01.svg
http://darrenyates.com.au/electronics/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/ELEC00041-300x250.jpg

C4, R6 and R7 look a little odd to me.   They look like left-overs from some other amplifier configuration.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

KarenColumbo

Thanks - that clears it up!

The "double Rs" there were interpreted as a pot by me. Which worked, sorta "Gain" knob.
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

Rob Strand

QuoteThe "double Rs" there were interpreted as a pot by me. Which worked, sorta "Gain" knob.
OK, that makes sense.  A 10k gain pot would work  (and the 10uF cap C4 would prevent the DC level at the output changing with the gain pot setting). 

R7 still looks odd.  It might be trying to get exactly x100 gain but it doesn't work as R4 and R5 need to be taken into account.   Anyway no need to get bogged down in the fine print!

According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

mac

mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Rob Strand

QuoteA Heathkit TA-28 with a gain pot
And a heap of gain as the 100uF has no series resistor.