Ibanez True Bypass Relay Circuit

Started by GuitarFreak302, May 03, 2016, 02:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuitarFreak302

Hello,

I am new to this forum but I do have a background in electronics. I recently built a board with a relay, Mosfet and some other parts. It is based on the true bypass relay circuit that RG Keen shows on his website in the boss tech file. Whenever I plug the battery in, the relay switches state and it becomes in a state I don't want. When I press the switch the led lights up like it should but the relay is now in the bypass state and not the effect state. I was wondering if there was anyway I could do this mod and still use a battery. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Kevin Mitchell

From your explanation you make it seems as if the LED is wired to the wrong lug on the relay - being on when bypassed and off when the effect is engaged. Is this correct?

Simply referring to a project will not suffice so please do share web pages or images. Preferably a schematic you have used.

A true bypass mod shouldn't have anything to do with the use of a battery or any power supply. So you'd surely have to explain a bit better and perhaps more detailed. What effect are you doing a bypass mod to? Is it one you have made? Does it work fine... Any info you can throw our way in beneficial to the debugging process.

I'm sure others will chime in with advice. But I'm a little lost.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

Mattnezz

Following the schematic, the relay is indeed activated if the LED is on. Q1 and Q2 collectors have opposite states.
If Q1 is low, the led lights and Q2 is high.
Q2's voltage should now close the 2N7000 and power the relay.

Maybe you could just wire the relay-switch-contacts backwards. (is this what happened?)
Or just solder R1 to Q1's collector?

GuitarFreak302

I looked the schematic over yesterday and the way my circuit acts makes it seem like the mosfet or cap is shorted which would explain why the relay powers up as soon as the battery is plugged in instead of when the switch is pressed. I will be checking it later today. Thanks for the input.

GuitarFreak302

I connected R1 to the collector of Q1 and it now works like it should. Thanks