Deep Blue Delay not working

Started by niwatori, May 04, 2016, 03:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niwatori

Hi all!
I'm new at the forum and a newbie in electronics.
I read this first:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

I did a Deep Blue Delay clone, and it is doing nothing, only sounds noise on the output and very low volume.
The input jack is not grounded, it needs to be? In any case, grounded is doing the same.
Here is the schematic:
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com.es/2015/02/mad-professor-deep-blue-delay.html

Here is my final result:

I used TL072CP, PT2399, 78L05 (TO-92) and a new 9V battery that measures 8.9V

With the three potentiometers rotated to the maximum, I have this voltages:

TL072CP
1-0.62
2-0.46
3-0.0
4-0.0
5-8.25
6-4.7
7-7.0
8-8.34

PT2399
1-4.97
2-2.41
3-0.0
4-0.07
5-3.35
6-2.44
7-4.55
8-0.4-2.9 (osc)
9-1.8-2.4 (osc)
10-2.5-2-8 (osc)
11-0.43
12-4.62
13-3.06
14-0.07
15-2.42
16-2.42

78L05
I-8.28
G-0.0
O-4.97

I think there are lots of voltages wrong in PT2399 and TL072CP
I checked all the components, the resistors and capacitors are correct, the electrolitic capacitors are between 16-50V.

Any clue?

Thanks for your time

EDIT: photos uploaded

jimilee

Check your components to make sure they all are correct and reflow reflow reflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

balkanizeyou

the voltages on TL072 seem weird. The two 10k resistors form a voltage divider that divides the supply voltage in half, so on legs 3 and 5 of TL072 you should have roughly 4-4,5V - in your case those legs aren't even connected, so better check the solder joints and the connections around the TL072.

Also, sleeves of both input and output jacks should be grounded.

You can upload photos when you write a post by clicking the button in the second row on the left, under the "Bold" button.

nocentelli

+1 on the above Re: opamp pin 3+5 should be connected and therefore both have identical voltage, around 4.5v

Quote from: balkanizeyou on May 04, 2016, 04:05:48 PM

You can upload photos when you write a post by clicking the button in the second row on the left, under the "Bold" button.

Just to be clear, you need to upload a picture to an image hosting site (imgur, photobox etc etc) and paste the img link to that pic in the [img]...[img/] tag that appears when you click the button; there's no direct upload to this site.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

niwatori

Quotethe voltages on TL072 seem weird. The two 10k resistors form a voltage divider that divides the supply voltage in half, so on legs 3 and 5 of TL072 you should have roughly 4-4,5V - in your case those legs aren't even connected, so better check the solder joints and the connections around the TL072.

Yes! After I uploaded the photos I noticed that I had not connect this legs.
When I get home, I will fixit

QuoteAlso, sleeves of both input and output jacks should be grounded.
OK

QuoteJust to be clear, you need to upload a picture to an image hosting site (imgur, photobox etc etc) and paste the img link to that pic in the [img]...[img/] tag that appears when you click the button; there's no direct upload to this site.
Thanks

duck_arse

also - pins 3 and 4 of the pt2399 should be shorted together, so they should measure the same 0V. are/does yours? is this your first board? it's a nice looking bit of work if it is.

and welcome to the forum.
don't make me draw another line.

niwatori

Quotealso - pins 3 and 4 of the pt2399 should be shorted together, so they should measure the same 0V. are/does yours? is this your first board? it's a nice looking bit of work if it is.
This is my first stompbox, I did some simple circuits. This is my first one complex circuit.

I soldered the legs 3 and 5 of the TL072, the legs 3 and 4 of PT2399 and grounded the input, and now the input passthrough the circuit and the output is the same as the input.

TL072CP
1-2.58
2-2.59
3-2.57
4-0.0
5-2.57
6-2.58
7-2.59
8-5.15

PT2399
1-3.67
2-1.78
3-0.0
4-0.0
5-3.61
6-1.68
7-0.0
8-3.37
9-2.57
10-0.26
11-1.78
12-1.78
13-1.78
14-1.78
15-1.78
16-1.78

78L05
I-5.12
G-0.0
O-3.65

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: niwatori on May 04, 2016, 03:19:59 PM
Hi all!
I'm new at the forum and a newbie in electronics.
I read this first:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

I did a Deep Blue Delay clone, and it is doing nothing, only sounds noise on the output and very low volume.
The input jack is not grounded, it needs to be? In any case, grounded is doing the same.
Here is the schematic:
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com.es/2015/02/mad-professor-deep-blue-delay.html

Here is my final result:

I used TL072CP, PT2399, 78L05 (TO-92) and a new 9V battery that measures 8.9V

With the three potentiometers rotated to the maximum, I have this voltages:

TL072CP
1-0.62
2-0.46
3-0.0
4-0.0
5-8.25
6-4.7
7-7.0
8-8.34

PT2399
1-4.97
2-2.41
3-0.0
4-0.07
5-3.35
6-2.44
7-4.55
8-0.4-2.9 (osc)
9-1.8-2.4 (osc)
10-2.5-2-8 (osc)
11-0.43
12-4.62
13-3.06
14-0.07
15-2.42
16-2.42

78L05
I-8.28
G-0.0
O-4.97

I think there are lots of voltages wrong in PT2399 and TL072CP
I checked all the components, the resistors and capacitors are correct, the electrolitic capacitors are between 16-50V.

Any clue?

Thanks for your time

EDIT: photos uploaded

compared to my first perf, the kat king, you like you have been perfing as long as the guy who runs the website ..that perf layout looks as good at the one rick holt posts up on here ..you have the natural skill it looks without having to proactice for a long time.

balkanizeyou

A few thoughts - first of all, your PT2399 chip is probably a counterfeit (notice the DTC logo instead of PTC). The counterfeits are known to consume too much current, sound like crap and also not to work sometimes.

Considering the fact that before you connected both grounds the supply voltages looked normal and now they are too low, I suspect that the chip started "working" now and its current consumption is really big because it's a counterfeit. There is more than 4V voltage drop across the 33R resistor, which means the device consumes more than 100mA - that's a lot! That's a maximum rating of 78l05 from what I remember.

I suspect a faulty (counterfeit) chip or a short somewhere - I cannot spot any shorts on the photo, you should take a multimeter and check for shorts. I would also suggest getting an original PT2399 chip and seeing how the circuit works then.

niwatori

Quotecompared to my first perf, the kat king, you like you have been perfing as long as the guy who runs the website ..that perf layout looks as good at the one rick holt posts up on here ..you have the natural skill it looks without having to proactice for a long time.
Thanks  :icon_redface:

QuoteA few thoughts - first of all, your PT2399 chip is probably a counterfeit (notice the DTC logo instead of PTC). The counterfeits are known to consume too much current, sound like crap and also not to work sometimes.

Considering the fact that before you connected both grounds the supply voltages looked normal and now they are too low, I suspect that the chip started "working" now and its current consumption is really big because it's a counterfeit. There is more than 4V voltage drop across the 33R resistor, which means the device consumes more than 100mA - that's a lot! That's a maximum rating of 78l05 from what I remember.

I suspect a faulty (counterfeit) chip or a short somewhere - I cannot spot any shorts on the photo, you should take a multimeter and check for shorts. I would also suggest getting an original PT2399 chip and seeing how the circuit works then.

Sad news for me, I will try to get a original (PTC) PT2399
Thanks, I didn't noticed.

balkanizeyou

while you're waiting for the PT2399 chip you can put a 10R resistor in place of the 33R resistor that is connected to the +9 wire and measure the voltages then (or see if the resistor fries - be careful, it can get very hot)

duck_arse

I think there is something else to it than counterfeit chips. pull both IC's out of the sockets, and measure the voltages on the socket pins. switch off, replace the opamp (not the pt/dt2399) and measure voltages again. please.

the circuit (you should link to or show it here), shows the opamp on 9V, not the 5V line.

(pardon if this is the wrong version ....)

niwatori

QuoteI think there is something else to it than counterfeit chips. pull both IC's out of the sockets, and measure the voltages on the socket pins. switch off, replace the opamp (not the pt/dt2399) and measure voltages again. please.
Ok, I will try and post the voltages.

Quotethe circuit (you should link to or show it here), shows the opamp on 9V, not the 5V line.
Like I said in the first post, the circuit layout here:

I think this is the schematic or very similar:

Mattnezz

Make sure R7 is only 33 ohms! It looks like 330 ohms to me (orange/orange/black).

niwatori

QuoteMake sure R7 is only 33 ohms! It looks like 330 ohms to me (orange/orange/black).
Multimeter says 33ohms

Changed the PT2399 by a new one counterfeit and IT WORKS!

In any case I have to wait to the original PT2399 (PTC) to see if there is a better quality sound.

Thanks to all for your time!

May I change the topic to [Solved] ?

balkanizeyou

great to hear!
I once bought a bunch of counterfeit pt2399s straight from China as I needed a few for some lo-fi pedals - around 25% of them didn't work at all, another 25% did work but were distorted as hell, only half of them worked normally.

duck_arse

niwatori

Like I read in the comments of the original web of the circuit, to avoid the POP issue when switch on the 3dpt, I put a 100K resistor between Output and GND.

Tomorrow I will change the PT2399 by the original brand new to listen if the sound it is better.

How can I change the post tittle to put something like "[Solved]"?

antonis

Quote from: niwatori on May 19, 2016, 04:59:39 AM
Like I read in the comments of the original web of the circuit, to avoid the POP issue when switch on the 3dpt, I put a 100K resistor between Output and GND.
That's the resistor on Duckie's schem..

You could have the same result by grounding OUT in by-pass mode via the 3PDT switch..

You can go to your first post and change it in the subject area...
(or ask kindly a moderator to do it..) :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

You can go to your first post and change it in the subject area...
(or ask kindly a moderator to do it..) :icon_wink:
[/quote]

consider this a test - after being changed, I thought the modified Subject: line reverted to the original with the next post, and only the OP could change it permanent, and then only within 24 hours of starting the thread.

we'll see. [/test]

[edit :] test confirms above suspicion. (solved)
[edit 2:] the home page and index listing remains the original title, but it does change in the page itself. (confused)