power supply filter

Started by bbsen, May 08, 2016, 12:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbsen

Hi all, I have built a beavis huminator drawn by pinkjimiphoton, after I connected to my rig and the voltage dropped nearly 40% and it is just insufficient to power some pedals.

Some people said the 100R simply acts as a volatage divider.... the problem is that I cannot find any solution to circumvent this problem.
can I lower the value or simply remove it?

is there a better designed layout for such purpose?

assistent is much appreciated! thanks a lot!

Fender3D

Welcome to the forum

Quote from: bbsen on May 08, 2016, 12:26:54 PM
Yes.. get yourself a better power supply...

Removing the resistor just voids the filter effect
you may recalculate its value as darron suggested http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=92731.msg796300#msg796300
... but a better power supply is unbeatable
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

amptramp

You can reduce the resistor is you increase the capacitance by the same proportion.

induction

Hi all, I have built a beavis huminator drawn by pinkjimiphoton, after I connected to my rig and the voltage dropped nearly 40% and it is just insufficient to power some pedals.

What power supply are you using? How many pedals are you powering with it and what are they?

bbsen

Quote from: induction on May 08, 2016, 09:21:21 PM

What power supply are you using? How many pedals are you powering with it and what are they?

A universal adjustable voltage adaptor, its output is around 9.3V without the huminator.

I tried to power a zoom MS-50G multi stomp, a Suhr riot clone, a digitech death metal dsitortion and a DIY looper switch with cornish buffer.
the only the Suhr Riot and looper switch is turned on.

I was planning to add other DIY pedals into this rig but had to stop at this point.

bbsen

Quote from: amptramp on May 08, 2016, 06:43:59 PM
You can reduce the resistor is you increase the capacitance by the same proportion.

I will try, thanks

bbsen

Quote from: Fender3D on May 08, 2016, 12:53:24 PM
Welcome to the forum

Yes.. get yourself a better power supply...

Removing the resistor just voids the filter effect
you may recalculate its value as darron suggested http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=92731.msg796300#msg796300
... but a better power supply is unbeatable

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will try different resistor first

antonis

Just be aware of not carring away with capacitor's (over)size because of:

1. It increases transformer's heating (by reducing the conduction angle, hence increasing the Irms/Iavg ratio).

2. It increases "stress" on the rectifiers.

P.S.
Try to by-pass the series resistor (with a jumper) and observe if there is some voltage drop (less than the previous one but more than, say, 5%) .

If yes, you need a better PS

If no, your circuit draws about 40mA, which your PS is able to provide before the 100R resistor but it results in a significant voltage drop after it..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

I would determine the load presented by each effect before I went farther down the road. It's something many would want to know, problem or not...you can simply connect an ammeter in series with the battery and turn the effect on to see what it draws...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

induction

Quote from: bbsen on May 09, 2016, 12:39:48 AM
Quote from: induction on May 08, 2016, 09:21:21 PM

A universal adjustable voltage adaptor, its output is around 9.3V without the huminator.

I tried to power a zoom MS-50G multi stomp, a Suhr riot clone, a digitech death metal dsitortion and a DIY looper switch with cornish buffer.
the only the Suhr Riot and looper switch is turned on.

I was planning to add other DIY pedals into this rig but had to stop at this point.

How much current can your adapter supply? It should be printed on the adapter casing. Be aware that your pedals will still draw current in bypass.

That Zoom is a digital pedal with fairly high current consumption. The manufacturer recommends a 500 mA power supply, but I suspect it draws less than 200 mA in normal use, which is still quite a lot in stompbox terms. It's possible that your adapter just can't produce enough current for that one pedal, so the voltage drops in response. Digital pedals often like to have their own power supplies for this reason.

Digital pedals also have a tendency to inject a bunch of noise onto power supplies. Other pedals that share that power supply can sometimes insert that noise into your signal.

Finally, my experience is that adjustable-voltage adapters are noisy as hell to start with. I'm not sure if that's universal, or just the ones I've tried, but every one that I've ever used has been so noisy as to be unusable. Fortunately, you can set the voltage to 12VDC and then regulate down to 9V with a few bucks worth of components. That should provide you with clean, quiet power for less money than an audio-grade adapter. That's how I power all of my pedals.

bbsen

To keep things simple, I am considering to build myself a regulated and filtered power device like the tonepad one.

antonis

If your transformer's secondary current capability isn't adequate for the summary of current consumption, things will not be so simple..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bbsen

Quote from: antonis on May 11, 2016, 06:35:49 AM
If your transformer's secondary current capability isn't adequate for the summary of current consumption, things will not be so simple..

The transformer i am using to power the pedals now is 500ma, it works pretty well without the huminator, inc case it is insufficient to power all the pedals I planned to include, I have another one (should be unregulated, though) that is 12v 1A.

The Zoom digital pedal is only a temperary one in the rig as I have not had time to build the chorus, and delay clone pedals yet.
Building a rig with all diy pedal is kind of a project I would like to do as a fun hobby this year, I simply quite enjoy making things like this now.

Worst case if everything goes wrong,  I can still use my zoom multi stomp or boss me-80 to play, they are not the best but good enough for me to have fun.

I could have buy a new regulated transformer but having fun is the whole point here. Failure or success, as long as I don't blow up my house, it's fine...HAHA