Bench Amps: A Survey ?

Started by polaris26, May 09, 2016, 09:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrStab

i can tell you what not to do:

don't debug with a 100W 12" combo at 3am with thin plaster walls right next to your neighbours' bedroom. they moved for some reason. i've gotten headphones, built a mini-amp and some restraint since then, but i realise it was totally disrespectful and i wrote a hearty apology the next day. it's just difficult for me to put down a project. there should be a "worst noise complaint story" thread in OT...

i often use my LM386 mini-amp for basic signal path checks, but the +/-0.8V input swing and crap computer speaker mean it's just for that. if i had a greater need, i'd go for the TDA chips suggested in earlier posts and put effort into the speaker & enclosure. i use an earlier-version Marshall MG100DFX for "proper" testing, DSL100 for "gig-worthiness" testing (but that's much rarer and demands a more complete circuit).
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

kaycee

I use a Noisy Cricket for my bench amp.

The cab is an MDF replica of an old Roberts Radio with a little 8 ohm speaker in it, could also run a larger cab.

Good enough to check if a pedal is passing signal, rather than waste firing up a valve amp. Battery lasts ages, or run from a power supply. I've got used to it and get a pretty good idea of what a pedal going through it will sound through a proper amp.

Also handy as a little portable practice amp.

karbomusic

QuoteGood enough to check if a pedal is passing signal, rather than waste firing up a valve amp.

Just a side note on my previous comments. I have a scope et al on my desk so all general functionality, passing signal, current draw, harmonics and a small list of other things all get confirmed on the scope etc. The amp(s) tests are for anything those miss along with sound, functionality etc.