Tap Tempo Relay Stomp Box

Started by jlongo, May 26, 2016, 10:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlongo

I would like to build a box that would control a flashing light on stage to a tempo I set by tapping at the start of a song. At the end I want to reset the box for the next number. The flashing tempo light would be a visual aid to band members to keep on time, especially during looper use. We do not want to play to click tracks or preset metronomes and we sometimes play under bad conditions without sufficient monitors. Is there something like this I could buy? I have not come across it for musicians or for DJ lighting. I have some thoughts, based on research, on using a 555 timer circuit, or an Adafruit board, or possibly the taptation chip. Not really sure what direction to take! But some way to have a tap tempo, memory, erase, and drive a relay or transistor to power an LED driver or other light to flash in the preset tapped time. Any advise on this, products, or a circuit diagram to use would be most appreciated!

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

jlongo

Thanks RG! I just checked out Time Bandit. I dont think that would work for this application. Looking for foot tap box that would set tempo and be a switching device to power lighting.

lars-musik

I won't be an easy built but I have done it for our band. It's a combination of the  Midi Padchokola and the TikTapTap Slacker and I brewed up.

The Midi Padchokola takes a tap for tempo and generates midi clock data that can be fed into the TikTakTap that is an optical metronome in its main function (but, funny enough, it is also able to give out taps again for the Taptation or the Tapflo)

I already suggestes that for a fellow forumite to controll a boss looper here:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=110548.msg1014359;topicseen#msg1014359

EDIT: I just browsed through my files and realised I overlooked a circuit that might be just perfect for you: https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/midihub-6-way-midi-thru-and-metronome-module/

It has a tap function and displays the tempo with LEDs (you could also connect it to the TikTakTap if you want a 4/4 3/4 with a different color LED on the upbeat). If you now your way around PIC coding you might want to change the code, so that the thing boots into tap mode.
I prefered the Midi Padcokola because you can dial in fixed tempi and display the dialed or tapped tempo.
Have your pick, I guess a good combination lies within these three circuits and as the source codes are all there you hack around them as you like.

Good Luck!

samhay

>and be a switching device to power lighting.

Do you want it to power stage/mains lights?
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

R.G.

I think so. That's the part I missed. I mistook the request for just blinking a timing aid, not full mains stage lights.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

jlongo

I guess this box could control full blown stage lights but I was looking for something for band members to see, basically as a visual timing aid, in addition to audio. When we host a show, we provide PA and descent monitors front and rear (drummer). when we are guests with other bands, sometimes stage sound simply sucks and we are at a disadvantage, especially when using looper. We are 3 piece with 1 guitar (me). I could very easily tap tempo at the start of a song. LED would flash in time. The Time Traveler pedal is closest I find to this but it works for synchronizing delays and its a bit pricey. Looks like it could work, perhaps, and switch a separate relay box for lights. The Midi devices mentioned look very interesting, thanks for sharing! I'm still researching for schematics to build something, too.

jlongo

This all comes from the fact that most, dedicated, looper pedals (ie Ditto X2 which I am using) dont just have a 'loop only' output jack. Man would I like that to send just the loop to my drummers monitor. What he gets is my rhythm loop and leads layered in, which he says, obscures the loop he is trying to play to. I am trying all sorts of methods with ABY switches to cut the leads from his signal and that does work but why not?? just a clean loop out from the looper pedal itself would be nice and save another button press to deal with! Any thoughts on this? Some kinda work around?

jlongo

https://learn.adafruit.com/tap-tempo-trinket/overview . I found this set up. Might just work for the tempo light project.