Silicon Supa fuzz like circuit

Started by Gus, May 27, 2016, 12:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gus

A DC sim screenshot of a Ge to Si fuzz adjustment
This is based off the Marshall schematics you can find on the web
Note the collector voltages, they are what I was adjusting for with Si and Q1, Q3 emitter resistor valueshttp://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=92104.0
Will not be the same as the Ge but should be fun
Kept the 10k, 100k gain setup and worked with three other resistor values to adjust the Q2, Q3 section
Q1 bias was changed for Silicon
I don't like adjusting Q3 collector values however in this case I needed to to keep R7 100k and it is a lower value output resistance and this should not be an issue
Set up so the bias can be fine tuned with R11when using 2N2222s, PN2222s etc

Have not built it and might not get to building it for some time so I am posting this
I anyone builds it please post about it

Gus

Built the circuit with PN2222s.

EDIT Made the 470 ohm a 330 ohm. No R11 did not need it

Centech, Radio Shack, AT328 LCR etc meter
Q1    234        166              220
Q2    224        153              209
Q3    242        168              259

Battery 9.74VDC, After 100ohm 9.47VDC, Q1 7.51VDC, Q2 .846VDC, Q3 8.25VDC

Sounds good, need to compare to a real MK2, Supa fuzz, hard to tell from you tube videos what a real one sounds like.

EDIT added a .033uf across the 330 ohm R10

Ben Lyman

I have some metal can 2n2222 and BC108. either of those should work ok, shouldn't they?
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

Ben Lyman

sounds good to me Gus, here it is with 2N2222A's

HA! When I said "neck pickup" I meant "bridge pickup" but all the other times I said "neck pickup" I meant "neck pickup"  :P
                                                                          -S. Vai

Gus

Ben
Thank you for the video

If you don't mind what collector voltages and battery voltage did you measure?

Ben Lyman

Here ya go Gus.

One Spot Adapter +9.451v
after 100r +9.383v

q1c +7.626
q1b +0.7013
q1e +0.1475

q2c +1.0933
q2b +0.5105
q2e 0

q3c +7.244
q3b +1.0894
q3c 0
                                                                          -S. Vai

Gus

Click on it for a larger image
Drilled a enclosure and painted it, waiting for it to dry

Kipper4

Nice work Gus
Love the vid Ben. Everyone loves a bit of knobbery.
Telling me to pay no attention to the magnavibe is like saying don't think of a white horse.
Of course all I can think of now is a white horse and a magnavibe.
Great stuff.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Ben Lyman

Thanks Rich... and Gus too. This is probably the best silicon Tone Bender I've ever breadboarded. I played around with it last night for an hour, just using my knobbery (vol&tone) plus pickup switching, I was getting a great range of sounds from Beatles to Zep, Beck to Jimi, and Conan to Orange Goblin. Then I put my Rangemaster in front of it... whoa mama! Fergitabodit! Off the hook! ETC!

BTW, Gus, in the layout I don't see your: "EDIT:added .033uF across 330r"
By The BTW, I don't have a .033uF so mine is .022uF across the 330r
                                                                          -S. Vai

joegagan

very cool. i like the bias tricks!

very good video, ben.  you are an excellent player, this helps a lot to get the feel. sounds like a good tonebender to me.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Ben Lyman

Thanks Joe, sorry I kept saying, "neck pickup" hopefully the high/low tone differences are noticeable.
I'm working on a pad per hole layout right now, it's just that good.
Gus, what about that .033uF? are you leaving it out?
                                                                          -S. Vai

Gus

I am leaving the .033uf in, it is a good starting point.  I will try it removed and other values.

Ben Lyman

Ok Gus, I've a spot for it in my pad per hole layout. I finished the layout last night but I need to double check it after I take my kids to school... and after I drink few more cups of coffee
                                                                          -S. Vai

Ben Lyman

Getting closer. Now I just have to drill and paint!
Gus, why don't you just send me your enclosure  ;D
                                                                          -S. Vai

robthequiet

Gus

I like the build is in a tin.  I have built stuff in soup cans and coffee cans.

I like to let paint dry a few days before assembling an effect.

Ben Lyman

cool, let it dry and send it to me in a few days  :icon_mrgreen:
that tin is actually my jig, I have a 125C in the toaster oven right now. Got a special hand painted design for this one... stand by
                                                                          -S. Vai

Ben Lyman

-S. Vai

Ben Lyman

-S. Vai

Gus