Surplus of NE5532s - what to build?

Started by patricks, May 27, 2016, 09:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patricks

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some suggestions on ways to use up some spare NE5532 op-amp chips. I'm not looking for advice on op-amp swaps, I'm looking for circuits in which the NE5532 really shines.

People around where I live are big on "freecycling" (i.e. dumping their old crap on the kerb for scavengers to pick up), and last week I came across a 12-channel budget brand mixing desk. The desk was already busted up, so I scooped out a handful of op-amps, most of which are NE5532s (also about 70 mono 6.35 mm jacks. They need a good clean, but I may never need to buy jacks again!). From the reading I've done so far, these chips are low-noise but have a higher current draw than other op-amps (TL0XX, JRC4558, LM1458, etc.).

It seems that they're potentially good in the Zendrive, and the Dr. Quack auto-wah. Any other suggestions? Mic preamp, buffer, EQ? I have an idea for a state-variable filter pedal I want to play with, could the 5532 be a good starting point?
Cheers
Pat

MaxPower

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

patricks

Cool, thanks!
Any pointers for good schematics? I've found a few in my googling, but if there are any that are particularly, I'd appreciate the pointer :)

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Mark Hammer

Elektor magazine had a project several years ago (and still posted on their site, I believe) for a 20W/ch power amplifier, using a wad of 5532s.  Because they can sink a lot of current into low loads, they are frequently used for headphone amps.  A person could probably make a cute little practice amp of a few watts with a fistful of them.

Jarno

Apparently, recovery from being overdriven is similar to 1458, you might just use them to build a overdrives (quite a lot of them :D ).
Douglas Self is quite a fan of the 5532, I think he did that power amp. It is also in one of his books, IIRC, small signal audio.... Or something.

patricks

Thanks Kipper, that's a cool circuit - I've been looking at direct boxes, this'd be a good one :)
PS, love the Red Dwarf reference!

Mark and Jarno, thanks for the pointer. I've heard about Douglas Self's 5532 power amp. The content on Elector is subscription only, unfortunately, but I'll look for the small signal audio book :)

patricks