JFET stompbox....suggestions for "high gain"?

Started by plexi12000, May 29, 2016, 03:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plexi12000

hey dudes--- i'm thinkin about trying the "Thundercheif" distortion frome tonepad. sounds like one i'd like. they use J201's.

they recommend others if you want more gain, or less gain, etc.  what would be a good choice for more gain?  i like to get a little crazy! lol  thanks!

J0K3RX

You can give this a try..  :icon_twisted:  It's a combination of JFET/MOSFET. You can use BS170 but I prefer the 2N7000.

Really crappy audio test demo #1  :icon_redface: just noodling
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11178619/screanin%20eagle/Final/SE1%20-%20Shitty%20test%20demo.mp3

Really crappy audio test demo #2  Testing the noise gate... you can hear me flippin the gate on and off, virtually silent with the gate on!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11178619/screanin%20eagle/Final/SE1%20Noise%20Gate%20Testing.mp3

You can get all the files here..
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m1u88kbmpavqmxa/AAB-EqzwuripkZM7uDqVJqPwa?dl=0
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

plexi12000

wow! an engl emulator-- that looks bad ass. onboard noise gate... killr!  is that your design bro?

J0K3RX

Quote from: plexi12000 on May 29, 2016, 04:42:08 AM
wow! an engl emulator-- that looks bad ass. onboard noise gate... killr!  is that your design bro?

Nope, that is from the old GTLabs... I added the gate and any other mods you see on it. Credit goes to them for all of their brilliant designs!

stonerbox

What is the purpose of C2 and R4? They do form a LP filter but only affects frequencies below 1.4Hz which seems kind of pointless. Guess I am not seeing the bigger picture here.   :icon_smile:
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

Marcos - Munky

This one is very nice! Do you happen to have a layout with noise gate and presence pots on board?

J0K3RX

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on May 29, 2016, 12:15:06 PM
This one is very nice! Do you happen to have a layout with noise gate and presence pots on board?

Yeah but, unfortunately it's not single sided...  :icon_rolleyes:

I also have Krankenstein, Laboga - Mr.Hector, VHT, Modern SLO-100, Uberschall, Ecstacy, 5150, Diezel... I have many others but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment. I have a lot of different FET based Engl's because I love Engl amps!! I am working on some hot rodded Marshall stuff like Fortin Hulk, Friedman BE, Cameron CCV etc.... Nobody has done anything like that with FET's that I am aware of. Have some HV tube stuff also but the time and money needed to get those going is 10 to 1 compared to FET designs. I think it's good to work on HV tube amps/preamps because it gives you a little better understanding when you try to convert/scale to FET.   

mac

Quotethey recommend others if you want more gain, or less gain, etc.  what would be a good choice for more gain?  i like to get a little crazy! lol  thanks!

2sk117 fet or similar. Hard to find.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Marcos - Munky

I can't see the pictures... Also, the diezel one surely interests me. My main distortion when I play with my zoom G7 is a diezel-like preamp.

Plexi

To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

temol

Quote from: J0K3RX
I also have Krankenstein, Laboga - Mr.Hector, VHT, Modern SLO-100,

J0K3RX, correct me if I'm wrong - they all share the same basic schematic? Is there a noticeable difference (soundwise) between SLO-100 and Mr.Hector?

T.

J0K3RX

Quote from: temol on October 18, 2017, 07:49:03 AM
I also have Krankenstein, Laboga - Mr.Hector, VHT, Modern SLO-100,

J0K3RX, correct me if I'm wrong - they all share the same basic schematic? Is there a noticeable difference (soundwise) between SLO-100 and Mr.Hector?

T.

The SLO sounds quite a bit different than the Mr.Hector. Personally I think Mr.Hector is better but that is just my opinion.. They all have very similar schematics but they all don't sound the same for sure. The Engl and Krank have more gain than the rest due to them having 3 jfets and 3 mosfets vs. the others with 4 jfets and 2 mosfets. If you study all of the schematics you can easily come up with your own designs... Btw, I saw your Englfet build that TrueVal designed, looks damn good! How do you like it?

temol

The SLO sounds quite a bit different than the Mr.Hector. Personally I think Mr.Hector is better but that is just my opinion.. They all have very similar schematics but they all don't sound the same for sure. The Engl and Krank have more gain than the rest due to them having 3 jfets and 3 mosfets vs. the others with 4 jfets and 2 mosfets. If you study all of the schematics you can easily come up with your own designs... Btw, I saw your Englfet build that TrueVal designed, looks damn good! How do you like it?

Englfet.. great sounding preamp.  Cannot tell if it sounds like the original e-530 but i like it anyway.
Check this out - yesterdaty I recorded 4 preamps - Black Forest, Screamin Eagle, 5150 and e-530.
Guitar -> preamp -> audio interface -> reaper (with cab IR loaded).

T.