Kemet PHE426 polypropylene capacitors - why so well-packed?

Started by aion, May 30, 2016, 07:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aion

I've snagged a couple of these on my last few orders from Mouser: http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntk=P_MarCom&Ntt=179762182

From what I can tell, the series came from Kemet's acquisition of Evox-Rifa and they have only recently been rebranded as Kemet. Mouser doesn't have too many other good options for 1n-10n values and so these seem to fill a nice gap. Plus, they're polypropylene which is typically considered to be better than the MLCCs I would have used otherwise. I saw references on hi-fi forums where people spoke well of them as coupling caps.

But I am scratching my head a bit wondering why Mouser is packing them so well. Here's an example:

Sandwiched between 4 layers of foam, and that plastic container was wrapped up in an inch of bubble wrap. For three capacitors that cost 0.25 each. I ordered maybe 10 different values, and every one of them was rolled up in a ton of bubble wrap, while the other film caps (a dozen different values of Wima) were not.

Why would they do this? Are they static or shock sensitive, or is there any other reason to doubt their long-term durability in audio gear applications?

I did that activity in high school physics class where you try to pack an egg so well that it doesn't break when you drop it off a building, and I don't think we packed them this well.

armdnrdy

I've received orders from Mouser with certain components packed to the hilt...then others...not so much.

I think it depends on the individual doing the packing.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

aion

Quote from: armdnrdy on May 31, 2016, 02:56:31 AM
I've received orders from Mouser with certain components packed to the hilt...then others...not so much.

I think it depends on the individual doing the packing.

But this is like... I ordered 50-100 different types components, three different times, across a few months, and only the PHE426 caps were packed like this out of everything. All of them, every order. So it's definitely not coincidence, there's something specific about these caps.

It could possibly be the dude in the PHE426 warehouse before they all get combined into one box, but it seems strange that he's been allowed to use a quarter's worth of packing materials to pack a dollar's worth of parts. Maybe he's just bored :)

I'm just concerned that they might have special instruction to do it like this, and if that's the case then I have to know why before I use them in anything that needs to last for the long haul. Maybe I'll contact support and see if they can tell me.

chuckd666

The person working there probably cracked the shits at you ordering only 3 of a tiny item hahah. Maybe the person is new?

I always feel dumb when I order like, one thing for a dollar from RS and they send it to me express.

armdnrdy

I've ordered C&K Alternate action push switches, and lighted tact switches that were individually packed in bubble wrap, placed in a plastic bag, with a huge "Fragile-Handle With Care" sticker on an additional outer plastic bag.

Mouser does not scrimp on packing materials!
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

duck_arse

QuoteIt could possibly be the dude in the PHE426 warehouse before they all get combined into one box ....

he's in your head, now. do you have any idea how boring it is packing the same things, over and over, everyday? any little thing to change the day's routine.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

thermionix

Any time I get cement block resistors from Mouser they come individually bubble wrapped.