HELP - WIRING A DUAL PEDAL

Started by mnaro127, June 01, 2016, 03:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnaro127

I am trying to wire a 4-knob boost and an octave fuzz (both are kits) into one unit. There are three main areas where I need help:

1. I don't know where to start in terms of wiring the PCBs together to set up a signal path.
2. Power. I would like to be able to power this unit with one outlet, but I assume that 9 volts wouldn't be enough because both require 9 volts.
3. Routing. I want to be able to use a toggle switch to switch the order of the pedals.

Help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

thermionix

1. and 3.)  The ins and outs of the circuits will go to the switch that changes the order of the effects.  Did you also want to select one on, the other on, both on?

2.)  The power will go in parallel to both boards, staying 9V.  You just need to make sure you have the current requirement covered.

Elijah-Baley

I never did this before, but I think you could use just one source of 9v, but counts the mA. A booster and a fuzz, probably just a few. In case your supply is a battery its life will be shorter, because you have two pedals.
Waiting for some expert.

Some information of how this two pedals should be work. Will them work independently like them were two separated pedals? OR the booster will work just if the fuzz is engaged? Repeat: I never did this before, but it is interesting.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

robthequiet

By any chance, could you let us know which pcb's or schematics or layouts you're using? It would be helpful to see the circuits.

Jdansti

Most of the wiring is like any other pedal with the following exceptions:

The first pedal in the series should have the bypass switch wired with the board input and output and the input jack wired like normal. Wire the output of the first pedal's bypass switch to the where the input jack of the second pedal would be connected to the second pedal's bypass switch.

Think of it like this. When you have two separate pedals next to each other, you connect a patch cable between the output jack of the first pedal and the input jack of the second pedal. Now imagine eliminating the two jacks and connecting the wires that would have gone to those two jacks directly to the two bypass switches. 

Connect the power to both boards. Ground everything as normal.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Alex83tele

On the issue of being able to switch the order of the units, why not wire it up like a dual effect loop pedal, and use whatever true-bypass switch schematic you want to go around it. You'll need a DPDT switch (on-on) where the first pole is connected to the input lead and throws back and forth between the input leads of each unit, and their respective grounds along with them on the other pole. They'll be criss-crossing each other and I'm sure you'll want to throw in the 1meg resistor to ground on the input for each unit, to reduce pop. Although you might not care because you don't plan on switching during a song. Then loop the outputs back down to the bypass switch and out. If you wanted to switch order and have one on at a time, you might want to reassess what your needs are, because that would be alot of wires and switches. Great, now you've got me thinking about that...[emoji848]

And don't worry about the power. Unless you've got some munchkins living in there, and one of them turns on the blow-dryer while you've got your pedals running, you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk