Breadboard noise

Started by suncrush, June 02, 2016, 08:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suncrush

Whenever I build a pedal on a breadboard, I get a ton of white noise, which makes it kind of hard to dial in component choices, and get an idea of the sound I'm going to get.

It all works fine when I get them soldered, but anytime I try to use a non-soldered connection, *boom* white noise.

What are you all doing when you bread board pedals to reduce noise?

merlinb

Is it really white noise (hiss)? I would expect hum or interference on breadboard, since it's not in a sheilded enclosure, but not extra hiss?
Are you using a switching power supply that you don't use on the finished pedal, or something?

ElectricDruid

Yeah, agree - this doesn't sound right. I've built lots of pedals on breadboard and not had problems. I'd exect that something else is going on.

HTH,
Tom

suncrush

Quote from: merlinb on June 02, 2016, 09:30:26 AM
Is it really white noise (hiss)? I would expect hum or interference on breadboard, since it's not in a sheilded enclosure, but not extra hiss?
Are you using a switching power supply that you don't use on the finished pedal, or something?

I am.  I have a benchtop supply with a variable 0-20V output.  I have a DC jack I can solder leads to.  This weekend I'll board a simple boost and try using a wall wart.

potul

I would try to use a battery. if no nois, then you can suspect of the PS

suncrush

Quote from: potul on June 02, 2016, 11:24:18 AM
I would try to use a battery. if no nois, then you can suspect of the PS

I don't have a 9-volt clip.

But, I may be able to cannibalize something at work.  I'll check out the broken electronics box.

Hemmel

darn it... potul beat me to it.
+1 on the battery
if you have a spare battery clip somewhere, it's easy to plug it on the breadboard to get your +9V.
Bââââ.

Jamdog

Scavenge one from a dead 9v battery...
-Jamdog

suncrush

Got one.  Thank goodness for workplace policies that make it practically impossible to throw anything away.

smallbearelec

I agree with the comments that hiss is not usually associated with breadboarding. Hum, on the other hand, often is. If you want to check out a breadboarded build in a shielded environment, make yourself an IdeaBox:

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/IdeaBoxAndBoard/IdeaBox.htm

I worked out the design in the article with the help of some people here, and feedback has been good.

suncrush

Quote from: smallbearelec on June 02, 2016, 10:20:44 PM
I agree with the comments that hiss is not usually associated with breadboarding. Hum, on the other hand, often is. If you want to check out a breadboarded build in a shielded environment, make yourself an IdeaBox:

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/IdeaBoxAndBoard/IdeaBox.htm

I worked out the design in the article with the help of some people here, and feedback has been good.

Yeah, I may have hum.  There's way too much white noise and scratch to tell.

GibsonGM

Does it do this with *everything*?  I mean, if you make a passive tone control, like a guitar's...any noise?  I'd expect *junk* from other things in the room.

Then, a simple opamp buffer or something...hiss?   Check passive vs. powered....to me, HISS AND SCRATCH suggest a bad pot or something...

I've never had a breadboard contribute more than that 'unshielded sound', picking up whatever crap is in the room.   The others seem very right to suggest power supply...HUM is either power supply noise or junk in the room like flourescent lights and so on.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

suncrush

I'm hoping to get to testing it tonight.  I have 2 small kids, so none of my projects happen quickly.  ;)

potul

Quote from: suncrush on June 03, 2016, 10:15:59 AM
I'm hoping to get to testing it tonight.  I have 2 small kids, so none of my projects happen quickly.  ;)

I know what this is... I am working in a project right now that I started 8 years ago... :)

GibsonGM

Oooh, I see    ;)

I didn't have any....I got 2 stepkids who were 16 and 19 when I met my wife!  And now they're mid and late 20's...oh, the difficulty of step-parenthood, he he.  I feel for you guys...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...