Custom Germanium Treble/Bass Booster

Started by McCamish, June 02, 2016, 04:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCamish

I've been experimenting with different types of boost pedals for use with my Super Lead Plexi.  I've tried several variations of caps to find the right frequencies to boost and find that I would prefer something adjustable instead of fixed.  I like the Rangemaster circuit with an AC125, but with a little more bass sometimes.  My thought was to put two different Rangemaster style circuits, one boosting more treble and the other boosting bass, connected with a dual gang blender pot.  My intention for doing this over adding a low pass filter was that the two separate germanium boost circuits mixing together could add more dynamics to the sound, as even the same circuits with the same components will have slight variations in sound, especially with germanium transistors.  I haven't been able to find anything like this on the web, but i cant be the only one to have thought about this.  Can anyone comment on how this may workout?  Is there a flaw in my logic on this?  Is it possible that this may have some advantages over simply adding an adjustable low pass filter?

GibsonGM

Yes, you could try it.  Not sure if blending will be dramatic, but it might be worth trying.

Or, you could do 'the trick' some fuzzes use of using a pot and a second cap to 'blend in' more capacitance at the input, giving you more bass.

Try both things ;)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...